LiquidPlanner

Dynamic project management software for modern business

4.3 /5 (630 reviews) Write a Review!
4.3
4.1
3.9
4.4
Samuel S.
Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Project Management and Not Much Else

Reviewed on 21/8/2018

I do like the tool. It's fairly simple to learn. Menu structure and feature overload are intimidating at first, but you get over that (to an extent). iOS app is important to my team - quick reference to projects running is very good to have and many other products like LP don't have a mobile app at all.

Overall, it's just not for me and my team. If there are better connections with development tools (Jira, BitBucket, Slack etc.) in the future, we may reconsider.

Pros

It's easy to set up hierarchy and control a project using LiquidPlanner. Feature set is very good and there are few gaps. For project planners, it's a great tool because it allows you to assign tasks, add time, and see a Gantt chart in a few clicks.

Cons

It's not for me. I'm in Product Management and my team was looking for a tool that will integrate with (or be less friction) with our current development tools. We currently use Atlassian (Jira, BitBucket) products for development and Google Sheets for our sprint management. The cons of LiquidPlanner is that it's a PROJECT tool, not a Product tool. I know LP probably doesn't plan on filling that need for a Product tool but there is a gap in that market and providing integrations with products like Atlassian could allow for LP to expand into a completely new market.

All the features are there, just need to engineer some more automated and simplified ways of managing products, rather than large scale projects with LP.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Jayna R.
Industry: Religious Institutions

LP

Reviewed on 18/4/2019

I use LP every day to manage our department's projects. We do not use all of the features for our smaller in-house team, but the project list, assigning owners, comments feature, file sharing and flexible prioritization features keep our workflow more streamlined and efficient. I also like that we can add freelance contractors to our workspace so the whole team can collaborate in one space. Again, it takes a little more time getting people acquainted with the system, so it would save me time if the UI and navigation were easier to understand.

Pros

LiquidPlanner helps us stay organized and keeps all of our team's communications in a centralized place. I like that the scheduling and prioritization of projects is flexible. And I like that we can adjust the number of seats each month as the size of out team and freelance staff changes.

Cons

It seems difficult for people to catch on to the UI quickly. Most of our staff took a while to adjust to the way LP works and how to most effectively use the software. It might be worth looking into more user testing to find ways to make the navigation and data entry more intuitive.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Avery O.
Industry: Computer Games

Really powerful for project managers, less good for other users

Reviewed on 14/8/2018

Pros

Really powerful, the gantt chart overview was really useful while our estimates were kept up to date. Project-focused organization allows us to keep a broad view of a complex project and tagging and export features are able to generate a variety of views of our data in an organized way.

Cons

Our executive team and eventually our developers stopped using it. Primary interface of the projects tab was too overwhelming & complex. No way to give teams a link that included the filters down to what they actually care about or give people a link to the exact view & set of filters that I was sharing during screen sharing. Not enough integration with external services (github, perforce, JIRA, bug tracking). Quite expensive. Overwhelming interface meant users didn't update tasks, which meant our data got out of date. Gantt chart stopped being accurate or useful and just got overwhelming. Dashboards could be made for visibility but didn't offer the teams opportunities to modify a limited view. Not easy enough to link to a specific task, or generate a new ticket in the right place with a simple link to a user-speakable identifier like a ticket-based system. Still great for people who are technically minded and want the big picture, not great for people who want a limited view of a subset of the project or are too busy to learn how to use the tool effectively.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Industry: Medical Devices

Hard to get over the preconceived notions, but worth it

Reviewed on 12/4/2019

I am very much a fan of this software. I think the limitations for how it can help is more around people understanding what it does differently than Project or similar tools than with the tool itself. One of my most recent experiences tells the story well. When we were discussing the pros and cons an individual with a lot of influence was complaining that dates in the tool move if someone is sick and not getting to their tasks. I had a hard time understanding a perspective that a plan with a date should be static regardless of what people do. This tool is about understanding your progress based on what people do, not a static planning tool that people never look at or influence by there actions and therefore allows us to pretend that finish dates don't change regardless of peoples actions or issues that can arise.

My overall opinion is the tool is limited more by peoples perspective than anything else and if you want better tracking, predictability, and ability to influence results you need to invest 30% of your time on the tool and 70% of your time getting people to wrap their heads around what this is doing and not what it might replace.

Pros

It helps to organize the tasks and get people the right information to work on.
It helps to prioritize what needs to happen and forecast how long it takes.
It does a great job of managing hand offs within a team.
It provides more tools than a typical user will ever need. The deeper you go the more value you can get.

Cons

It can be difficult to get people to understand that this is not typical planning software.
A more robust tutorial and a better description of what this tool is would help get teams to start faster.

Extremely Robust Project Management Software

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

We use LiquidPlanner for managing virtually everything within our business. From internal tasks to external client tasks. We even manage volunteer hours and PTO scheduling within LiquidPlanner, and we export all of our LP data into our accounting software for billing and invoicing. It's basically the backbone of our organization.

Pros

LiquidPlanner makes tracking multiple large, complex projects possible and easy (after the initial learning curve).

It provides fully customizable dashboards that can be set up per project or per user (or both) and robust reporting. It also allows you to get a good view of what's coming up in relation to how much bandwidth each user has to manage it, as well as how the team's bandwidth affects the project/task expected completion date.

It just has SO MUCH!!!

Cons

It has a fairly steep learning curve. Our team has been using LiquidPlanner for over 4 years and we are still learning various nuances of the platform or better implementations. Also, the UI could use a serious update and it's not at all mobile-friendly (the mobile app is also a joke). But none of that would deter us from using it because it provides so much value that we haven't been able to find in any other system.

Ann D.

Great project management software even though it doesn't fit our needs 100% of the time.

Reviewed on 17/8/2017

I couldn't do my work every day without Liquid Planner. I am constantly referencing it and using it throughout the day.

Pros

I like the way we can use this as a project management, time tracking, and a scheduling platform. So many other tools I've used only address one of these vital areas.

The timers on each task are one of my favorite features of Liquid Planner. It makes it so easy to track time and see how accurate estimates really are on a given task or set of tasks. You can easily view progress, see overruns and areas of concern (there's a red fire icon), and put as many details in the actual task as you need. You can link tasks together, create dependencies, and perform other actions to get a realistic view of a project.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to set up scheduling the way our company needs it to be represented. However Liquid Planner always seems to be putting out new features and their support team is very helpful in trying to help their clients find solutions.

Jesse B.

Heavy on features

Reviewed on 3/5/2019

LP sits at the center of our workflow, for better or for worse. On the whole it's a very helpful and robust work planning solution. It's actively updated and they listen to their customers.

Pros

- Manage nearly every aspect of work planning
- Decent interface
- Tons of options to visualize data
- Frequent updates
- Great support

If you want to plan your work, LiquidPlanner can accommodate almost any workflow

Cons

Because it has so many options, it can be overwhelming. The best thing you can do for yourself when using this software is to determine what works for you early on. There are many different ways to implement different workflows in LP so take the time to define yours.
There are some UI quirks that are really difficult to get around. The "my work" tab should be much more customizable in my opinion. The UI itself takes some getting used to as well.

Jacob N.
Industry: Government Administration

Comprehensive project management software for multiple staff across an organization

Reviewed on 11/4/2019

Overall it has been a way to help other staff get more organized. I honestly was doing fine just using Excel spreadsheets before, but it has helped management see more of what is on everyone's plates.

Pros

LP is eminently flexible and encourages staff to think out the full life-cycle of a project. I appreciate custom fields and tags, estimated times, the ability to follow other people's projects, time-tracking, in-project messaging, the breakdown of projects-tasks-checklists, and more. Not to mention reports and dashboards.

Cons

Onboarding is a huge effort, and maintaining project management is somewhat time-intensive. Also, our management team has done a poor job ensuring all staff use it in the same capacity, and management hasn't led by example.

Yong L.
Industry: Computer Software

The transparency of the project gives great confidence to all

Reviewed on 9/3/2017

We are using LiquidPlanner (LP) in almost every project. Besides tracking and reporting progress inside, one of the best things is to keep our clients updated regarding their projects in real time. Such transparency has huge benefit to both side, the clients and the development team.

For clients, they may gain confidence from the project progress at any time. Especially, many of them are start-ups. They relies on the project to develop their business and talk further with the potential investors. The real time update helps to plan their future in a more accurate way.

For the team, LP is used to get real time feedback from clients. Any blocks may be identified and solved in time. And we know what we did is what the clients need and does bring business value to them.

In general, with LP, all the parties around the project get the transparency and are given the great confidence of the success.

Pros

share information among all parties.

Cons

N/A

Cate P.

Detailed Management with East of Use

Reviewed on 6/5/2019

LiquidPlanner has enabled me to bring resource conflicts to my stakeholders with the information to make recommendations and have the impacts of those recommendations available to communicate.

Pros

This software allows the user to manage multiple projects and see the impacts, dependencies and conflicts among them. The prioritization, and ease to change priority, are key to knowing where projects are running into issue.

Cons

We are waiting for resource pools to be able to assign work to a specific group that has a limited number without assigning the work to a specific person. Also, the need to constantly refresh each area when a change is made adds to the time is takes when creating a schedule or working through issues in a schedule.

Bob B.

From An Interesting Idea To An Essential Tool

Reviewed on 10/2/2016

I am the principal of a medium sized engineering design consultancy, working mostly in the construction and design worlds. We work on some very challenging and innovative projects, where team work and complexity are everyday issues. We had struggled for many years trying to manage our design work with spreadsheets, project management software, time sheets, etc and so on. We always started off with a great plan, but then found it impossible to keep that plan up to date as projects progressed, and then ended up making do.

When we found Liquid Planner we were intrigued by the on-line accessibility and by it allowing multiple simultaneous users; everything could be centralised off site, and could be accessed out of hours from anywhere. We took the plunge in January 2014 and switched everyone over to Liquid Planner overnight. We developed a simple easy to use system for organising all of our projects in one single space, and it worked straightaway. We developed packages for each person, what we call Now Boxes, in which they shuffle their own priorities whenever they want. We incorporate dependencies to tasks, and so warnings pop up when staff move things that adversely affect task sequences. Time sheets are entered accurately in real time, and everything worked well from the off.

We then moved on to another level and, with some simple customising of the fields relating to tasks, we used Liquid Planner to re-invent our quality assurance system. As structural engineers checking and quality is an essential part of our work, and with some simple tweaks Liquid Planner become our quality assurance system, and has been approved as such by our British Standard Institution ISO 9001 inspectors. In fact they were amazed at how easy and immediate our system was.

Clicking and dragging on the gant chart would be nice. Also the space devoted to obscure things like date shift windows would be better spent on making diary views more accessible.

We love it and are always singing its praises; it is like a member of our team.

Laurel Y.
Industry: Accounting

LP Review

Reviewed on 16/8/2018

LOVE! Great product, great support. I'd recommend them always.

Pros

I love how many different things you can use this software for. We have several different services we provide that have several different processes and procedures. LP has been able to handle all of them with its many versatile features and functions.

Cons

There is a lot of time in setup and up keep involved. I know that is what allows us to do so many different things, but it is still time consuming sometimes.

Dave K.
Industry: Computer Software

Good Software but needs some additions

Reviewed on 13/3/2017

All in all the software does the job but could use some improvements. It needs and issues section to track issues either at the task level or project level. Time entry major issue, if someone makes a mistake in entering time it takes it away from the estimated time but when corrected it does not put it back. The time issue of not putting back the incorrect time causes extra work because you now need to go back and correct the estimated time as well.

Pros

Ease of use and flexibility of scheduling

Cons

Time entry errors and what you need to do to correct it.

Michael D.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

LP review

Reviewed on 11/4/2019

We had issues coordinating projects involving many users. LP has given us a easy to use central point for document storage and communication that is project specific.

Pros

Great software for project management and very user friendly

Cons

Searching feature is hard to use sometimes and the display is not nice when in full screen but mainly now my bosses can track my productivity, before they could not and it gave me a lot more free time to slack off at work

Vicki M.

Great project planning software!

Reviewed on 1/8/2018

Makes scheduling, estimating, and tracking projects very easy.

Pros

Easy to use. Easy to reschedule. Continuous improvement and updates. Very reliable. Great customer support.

Cons

Would like more robust reporting and filtering. Would like the ability to export more than 50 records at one time. Would like the ability to edit more characteristics for multiple tasks at one time (such as setting a common dependency for multiple tasks)

Austin A.
Industry: Accounting

Makes Managing Tasks A Breeze

Reviewed on 6/12/2019

Overall the experience has been great. I don't see any reason to go elsewhere.

Pros

The software is easy to use, organized, and helps me know what my day and week are going to look like. It also provides helpful analytics when gauging profitability of clients.

Cons

Depending on how big your company is and how much data is in there, it can take a few seconds longer to load.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

LiquidPlanner helps keep our team organized

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Pros

I like that it can track time for tasks and that on each task you can make comments, assign people to checklist items, and upload files related to that task. It helps keep everything organized in one space where the whole team can access it.

Cons

I don't have any major complaints about using Liquid Planner.

Michael D.
Industry: Graphic Design

Michael Dobson's LP Review

Reviewed on 8/3/2017

I like having a centralized place at work for jobs. Being able to post attachments, correspond with coworkers, have conversations in threads are all good things. The usability is not always easy though. Sometimes we have to click on something more than once to get it to open or access it. Shifting from Timesheets to Projects can take some time. Also, in Documents, having to switch from Project Only to All Files seems to be redundant, especially when things that are being posted, are posted for the project.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Stan T.
Industry: Machinery

LP review 8/2018

Reviewed on 21/8/2018

Engineering department - task priority is the main benefit; We want to utilize the tool to recognize progress against plan, but needs improvement in consistent scoping, user utilization/logging effort

Dashboards
Record retention

Cons

Somewhat difficult to compartmentalize tasks that are associated with more than one opportunity - maybe just lack of knowledge/experience with the tool

Sarah L.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Great project management / time keeping and app need help

Reviewed on 30/4/2019

Pros

Great for keeping several projects organized with deadlines. The time keeping feature is nice to tie into projects.

Cons

Time tracking lacks in that it is firmly divided into weeks and not when payroll is run (twice a month for us). Since it goes every week, it makes it annoying to approve a week when payroll ends on the 15th and that lies on Wednesday. Then, it has to be un-approved for the rest of the week. A simple option to enter payroll dates would be helpful. Also, the app doesn’t work for time tracking and we are often out of the office. This has been reported over several years, so hopefully someday the app will approve.

Ben O.

Incredible software

Reviewed on 8/3/2017

LiquidPlanner is easily the most user friendly software I have ever used to manage a project. It's easy to understand, easy to train on, and provides a ton of flexibility and analysis capabilities. They continue to innovate and respond to user requests for changes and enhancements to the platform and their customer support is top level in my opinion.

Pros

Easy to configure, easy to use

Cons

The mobile app has never lived up to my expectations

Skylar D.
Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Excellent work tracking software

Reviewed on 21/8/2018

It really is easy to use though and is a good tool for teams to collaborate with.

Pros

It does a really good job organizing and prioritizing tasks as well as forecasting when some work will be completed.

Cons

I don't feel like it does a great job supporting true Agile with story points and sprint designs. The mobile app could use some serious work.

Great Workflow Visibility tool

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Planning and understanding what certain tasks really cost us became easier now that we have a way to log the data and run reports. We can see if there is a project at high risk of running over time / cost and use that to adjust and learn. Since tasks can be easily grouped into projects, we can assign each task to individuals / teams, and each overall project to higher managers that are responsible.

Pros

API - can use our ticketing system to create LP tasks
Kanban boards - can track progress on tasks
Planning - can assign time estimates, and then track actual time for each task
Dependencies - can link related tasks
Bookmarks - if you apply a bunch of filters and come up with a view that you really like - say, "open tasks, which are assigned to me, and at risk of running over time" - you can make one-click shortcut to that view.

Cons

UI really packs A LOT into one screen. It takes a little while to learn your way around the interface, but they do have decent documentation and help along the way to get you familiar.

Megan T.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Great for managing a weekly workflow

Reviewed on 6/12/2019

My overall experience has been great. It really works for the small company I have.

Pros

This software is great for managing a weekly workflow. I am able to see everything I need to get done for the week so that I can manage my time appropriately. It also is really easy to communicate with my Project Manager who assigns me tasks when I need to. I like that tasks are super customizable and can be put in whatever order I want.

Cons

I feel like the software could have a little more color just to keep it more fun. There's lots of gray throughout it, which is kind of boring when I have to stare at it every day.

Heather O.

LiquidPlanner - The Best Option for Managing Projects

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

I think it is a fabulous product and I am happy we chose it for our business.

Pros

I like that it is so simple to track milestones and plan out projects from implementation to closure.

Cons

I don't have any cons. It is a very useful software that helps to facilitate team involvement in completing projects.