FreeAgent

FreeAgent has been voted the UK's #1 accounting software app

4.4 /5 (122 reviews) Write a Review!

Anne W.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Makes bookkeeping easy for a novice, and still keeps an accountant happy

Reviewed on 2/1/2018

Saves me a whole lot of time, and helps me keep clear records for my accountant.

Pros

At the moment it's free through my business banking account - I tried it because of this but it would definitely be worth paying for. I am relatively new to running a business and the software is very intuitive for a novice. My accountant is pretty happy with it too, so that's a big thumbs up!

It makes invoicing and payment of exenses very easy, and is great for keeping track of money coming in/out and keeping an eye on invoices due for payment.

Payroll is incorporated (you can file it with HMRC through FreeAgent or let your accountant do it separately).

I also like the fact that it reminds me when my corporation tax and annual accounts are due.

In a few clicks I can see my profit & loss account and my trial balance as well as spend in the different (customisable) categories. Really helps me keep on top of everything.

The Android app is also great for reconciling payments and recording expenses on the move.

The help files are fantastic, and the clear accounting descriptions and explanations make them a great resource for a small business even if you don't use the software.

Cons

Exporting information is a bit tricky in some areas - you can get a pdf out quite easily but an xls or csv would be more useful (you can export the entire company dataset as a csv, but not filtered individual elements such as unpaid expenses or balances within individual accounts). In some cases you can get round this by cutting and pasting, but it's a bit fiddly.

Exporting all company data does not export attachments - so you need to keep a separate copy of scanned receipts etc outside FreeAgent.

It is one of the more expensive cloud accounting software packages out there, but I have looked at a whole range and you can't beat the functionality, so that's what you are paying for I guess!

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Anne,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear about the features you like using and we really appreciate your positive feedback.

I'm also pleased to say that we are currently working on improving our exporting data feature, which will be released very soon.

Thanks again for using FreeAgent, we really appreciate it!

All the best,

• Industry: Facilities Services

Highly recommended

Reviewed on 8/8/2019

Pros

I got access to this software FREE of charge through banking with RBS. Having previously used Xero for our book-keeping, I found it had the same great functionality but a much slicker design. It's simplicity and ease of use is the best thing going for it.

Cons

Had some issues at the beginning with connecting our bank feeds but this was sorted out quickly by the team at FreeAgent - can't think of any real faults with the software.

Emanuele F.

Overall

Reviewed on 19/2/2018

Pros

Overall experience is good. It allows to better organised both my bookeeping but as well my employee work due to its usability. Love as well the API integration that allow me to create custom analysis.

Cons

Too much focus on UK client. We are an Italian company and some of the functionality available for UK are really complex to achieve for us and required workaround.
Billing only in 1 currency is crazy, why do you have invoice in multiple currency but billing cannot be done? It should be a simple addition to make but it has been year that people asked for this and still not implementation.
Country specific payroll. Although I am aware it will be impossible to enable payroll for every country out of the box why don't allow customer to customized the payroll functionality to meet payroll requirements or add important deadline for taxing purpose.
Even the export functionality can be improve and should be added to every areas from timesheet to bill, from invoice to expense with filter that allow you to specify the data you want to export.
VAT calculation for Intrastat - due to the internationalisation of business should be easier to export only bill and invoice that are related to country outside your normal business area.
What about language package? Again if not possibile provide an LDK that allow client to customize the interface.

Mandie L.

Perfect Companion for Accounting

Reviewed on 31/8/2015

I was introduced to Freeagent by my accountant, Balance Accountants. My business needs are met very easily with Freeagent, I have a small company which is Residential Care and Home Care business. The cloud base system allows my accountant to access my work and I'm able to have meetings with bank managers etc without having to lug lots of paperwork about, everything is at my fingertips. Also im based in the South and my business and accountant are in the North, so logistically it works very well for me. The system I have found very easy to use and if I have ever got stuck, my accountant can sign in and talk me through it. Once you get yourself set up and familiarised, you won't believe how much simpler accounting gets. I use for all bookkeeping and invoicing. I would use it for payroll but hey....my payroll lady would be out of a job! But I reckon she uses it as she's always smiling never stressed.

Pros

Live bank feeds, easy to use, perfect for invoicing, accounting for small businesses, keeping the accountant and bank manager happy with the efficiency! It does everything (for me and my business needs) apart from making me coffee :-) Always a pleasure using freeagent, it's really fun to use!

Cons

Ive been using it for nearly two years....
Can't fault it!

Not sure if I could add a further business to the platform, for example: using same login details but be able to switch between businesses?? That would be really good.

Oscar H.

Exceptionally Poor Customer Support

Reviewed on 18/9/2015

I originally found Freeagent around three years ago. I was very excited when I found I could use Freeagent through "My Business Works", a service offered by Barclays, at a reduced rate - except nobody decided to make it clear support is outsourced to "My Business Works" - perhaps the most key feature of freeagent.

For around three years I have always been in contact with friendly, kind and lovely staff at Freeagent who have always been happy to provide us with support - I have always avoided "My Business Works Support" as their staff are especially unhelpful, condescending and rude.

That was until today. A stubborn, although polite lady refused to give us support despite my explanation of the poor support "My Business Works" offers.

Quite simply her unkind, unfriendly action has lost a customer, we are moving to a far more powerful and equally easy to use software called Xilo, with much better support in January.

I used to think Freeagent was an actual service whereby one might not be bound to the selfish red-rape rules of the world, and was instead a friendly platform with every customer's interest at heart.

I would recommend all to consider Xilo over Freeagent. That is of course unless you want a kick in the teeth for being a long-term loyal customer!

Response from FreeAgent UK online accounting software

Hello Oscar,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

My name is Kevin McCallum and I am Business Development Director at FreeAgent and directly responsible for managing our relationship with MyBusinessWorks.

I'm really sorry that you've not had a good experience with MyBusinessWorks support and I wanted to let you know that we take these kind of issues very seriously and I am currently discussing this matter with MyBusinessWorks.

As you know from your previous discussions with our support team, we do take all our customer support obligations very seriously and pride ourselves on the support we provide to our customers. It is worth pointing out that MBW provide support on a number of the products you have access to through their package, whereas at FreeAgent we focus solely on our own software.

The only way to receive full unlimited support from our support team would be if you were a direct subscriber to FreeAgent. As we’ve said previously, if you wanted to transfer your account over to become a direct subscriber then we would be more than happy to help you do this. If you'd like to do this please email me on [email protected] and I can arrange it for you

To reiterate, I'm sorry that you are not happy with the support you have received from MBW but I am now dealing with this personally.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Rick S.

Make book keeping hassle a thing of the past

Reviewed on 22/1/2018

Time saving, professional appearance to clients, cloud-based, quick and easy to learn

Pros

I hate taxes and book keeping work. Using just common sense, you can immediately do 90% of tasks within FreeAgent, quickly and easily. FreeAgent staff are on standby to help you with the other 10%. It's fantastic.

Cons

Some of the features are not intuitive, and take a bit of practice to get right. The one time I have had to use a work around is the system does not have a function allowing you to remove partner drawings directly from a foreign currency PayPal account. Hardly a deal-breaker.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Rick,

Thank you for sharing your review and for the kind words, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear that FreeAgent meets your needs, and that the team have given their support when needed (we're very proud to have such an awesome support team!)

We also appreciate your feedback about some of the challenges you've experienced, I've passed them along to our product team.

John 'hedge' H.

Great, powerful,

Reviewed on 11/1/2018

Pros

FreeAgent is one of those programs that integrates all sorts of difficult tasks into one single multi-use product. We specifically use it for payroll, invoicing and accountancy and find the integrated approach saves time and helps us quickly track accountancy errors and oversights.

Cons

The live link to the bank account statements is often glitchy and can cause a headache for those trying to account for every transaction.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing your review of FreeAgent. It was great to hear about the features you find most beneficial for your business. We also appreciate you highlighting the glitches you experience with links to bank account statements, we've shared that feedback with the product team.

John C.

Allows me to manage the business effectively

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

FreeAgent allows me to see at a glance what we are owed, who the biggest culprits are and to automatically send out overdue reminders. So much easier than chasing on the phone.

Pros

FreeAgent has enabled me to free up so much of my time because i can schedule and manage invoices individually or on repeat. Also helps when preparing tax and vat returns.

Cons

The function to connect credit card accounts does not always work that well but i think we have cracked it.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we really appreciate it! If you experience any additional issues with connecting your account, please let us know at [email protected] as our support team is always happy to help.

Tom M.

Easy to use accounting software and a great mobile app

Reviewed on 21/2/2018

I found FreeAgent easier to get my head around than other accounting software, both desktop and cloud, that I'd used in the past. I did have to call support a couple of times but I got straight through and they were a pleasure to deal with and sorted all my issues impressively well.

Pros

FreeAgent is great in January when I can file my tax return directly to HMRC. The form is also filled with data I've entered throughout the year so self assessment time is pretty hassle free, which s unusual for a freelancer. I've just started using the mobile app and find that this is really is good too. I can take care of all the day-to-day stuff, like explaining bank transactions and entering mileage, when I'm out and about on business to stop it mounting up.

Cons

The mobile app is really great, but doesn't yet have the same in-depth functionality as the desktop app.

Not the best software I've ever used.

Reviewed on 4/4/2018

I don't see any now.

Pros

It looks like it has a lot of features but it doesn't work in a logical way.
The tech support used to be available almost 24/7 but the quality and availability have shrunk down significantly.

Cons

This is the most frustrating of all of the accounting software that we reviewed. Everything (even mistakes) gets locked in and can't be edited or amended. There are so many basic functions that just don't work and all customer services do is give you complicated workarounds, most of which don't actually achieve the required outcome. The bank feeds often don't work and you have to log in daily to manually update them. The price is way to high and not good value. The software is not easy to use and what used to be great customer service is now a waste of your time and call tariff. To add insult to injury, they have just been bought over by a bank that has a terrible reputation for so many reasons and will tarnish the reputation of FreeAgent. I'd steer well clear of this software.

David K.

Simple, may to use and already used by out acceptant

Reviewed on 17/1/2018

Pros

Simple, lightweight and just does exactly what you require from a accounting tool. Interface is easy to navigate and there is a very low learning curve. I would recommend this tool to small businesses / freelancers.

Cons

Doesn't integrate with newer online style bank accounts for automated feeds at all. (e.g. transfer wise bank accounts) . Sometimes doesn't recognise recurring bank transactions meaning it takes longer to explain

Steve G.

So much easier

Reviewed on 27/7/2018

This product has made running my business do much easier.It takes a little getting used to but once grappled it’s a breeze!

Pros

The bank reconciling makes marking off transactions and paid invoices so easy. The ability to resend email reminders and show whether an email has been received by a customer is great.

Cons

More template options would be good and the ability to put terms and conditions into the back of a invoice.

Brilliant

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

I love free agent. It makes invoicing, book keeping and automating reminders very easy. It's also very easy to modify your invoice designs. Customer support has always been good on the few occasions I've needed them.

Cons

I'd like to be able to do reports on a monthly basis rather than the preset options. Little bit more expensive than it's rivals.

Pierpaolo S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great accunting software, really easy to use!

Reviewed on 6/2/2018

Pros

Fantastic software for your company. Easy to use and complete. You can manage your customers, raise invoices and do your payroll.

Cons

The software is improving over the years, but you might have some issues when it comes to make payments and raise invoices in other currencies.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Pierpaolo,

Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear what you found most useful about FreeAgent. We've also highlighted the issues you raised with our product team.

Jonathan S.

Brilliant tool that I rely on daily

Reviewed on 16/2/2018

Pros

It just works. The software looks good on desktop and connects to the mobile app well. From invoicing, to time tracking, to payroll, tax returns ... so much functionality and pretty much error free. Unlike other financial software, you don't need to pay more for features like payroll and multi-currency. Win.

Cons

It would be useful to have a few more multi-currency features (e.g. multi-currency bills and expenses).

Ben H.

High quality accounting with unparalleled ease.

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

Ease of set-up
Complete flexibility
Integrates with my banking transactions automatically (Barclays)
Automated explanations, and complete the rest on my iPhone app - on train, in bed etc!
Superb reports fit for any accountant, better than many!
Invoices look amazing and the automatic chasing / thanking clients for payment is a delight
Self assessments completed in a doddle - and for free as part of our subscription.

• Industry: Design

Really useful for managing cash flow

Reviewed on 13/3/2018

Pros

Syncing with your bank accounts allows you to keep track of expenses, income and bills really easily. There is good help in the support section and it is good to be able to get some automated analysis of the figures too.

Cons

The time tracking feature is not very flexible and has caused me issues, I am using a different software to track time now. The design also is quite accountant-oriented

Like the product

Reviewed on 7/3/2018

Pros

Easy assess and works great for tracking my time and billing clients. The bank feed works well. I like the overview information of the home screen dash board.

Cons

I have an accounting background and am a bit frustrated with how to pay bills and reconciling an account. It has not been very easy for me to understand how some of the functions work - relative to other software that I have used. Some one with out my background might find it easy to understand.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear about the features you like using. Regarding the parts you are frustrated with, could you please contact our support team on 0800 288 8691 and explain this to them in more detail? They may be able to help you, and they can pass on any specific feedback for improving the product to our engineering team.
Thanks

Billy G.
  • Industry: Sports

FreeAgent for Sports/Recreation Companies

Reviewed on 14/2/2020

Excellent. As a small business I was tentative to get give it a try. Thought it was too much for us. At the end of the day I decided give it a try and am so happy I did. Their customer support team is great and treats my small business like a major client.

Pros

The software was easy to learn and very user friendly. This software has freed up a lot of my time and made our entire organization for efficient and effective. One of those programs where you start using it, you don't know how you ever were able to run your company without it.

Cons

Nothing. I have been impressed with all the features. It was easy to learn and their customer support team was there to help me with everything along the way.

Might not be the best choice from my perspective

Reviewed on 20/3/2018

Pros

We use it where I work as a way to track work hours. Usage is pretty simple and the features are sufficient. If you need to track time precisely, there's a nice start/stop function, and if you don't, there are means to insert a whole week in a row. If you're a developer, you'll appreciate the APIs that allow building customized reports for accounting.

Cons

If you don't need precise time tracking, but need to split hours on different activities, data entering becomes pretty slow. You can generate monthly reports to check what to expect from the paycheck, but checking if you made mistakes in the data entry is as difficult as it is entering it.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,

Thank you for reviewing FreeAgent. We're glad to hear you found our time tracking features helpful. Regarding the aspects you found frustrating, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we've shared it with our product team.

All the best,

Suresh L.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

best cloud based accounting tools

Reviewed on 22/11/2018

Pros

For better accounting, this tool is very helpful in the small business. Since it is cloud based we can access from anywhere. API extension is helpful

Cons

Few options are not user-friendly. Some options are limited for large business users. No other major cons in this tool.

Jo O.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Does it all

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

It's so easy to use. I haven't had any training on it (no need, it's pretty intuitive, and you can find answers easily on the Internet). It's always there on my desktop or phone. I used to use Excel spreadsheet which was free, but a bit of a 'mare, but now I have peace of mind knowing I'm compliant.

I haven't used it for my self-assessment yet, but will soon find out how easy that is too. Fingers crossed.

Cons

The importing tranasctions don't always work. I'm not VAT registered and so have to manually change this every time. A way to schedule recurring future invoices in advance would be good too.

Stephen J.

Very easy to use, a bit pricey for my use case, but good for more complex businesses

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

Well designed and appealing UI
Clear presentation of salient data
Good, clear financial reports - P&L, Balance Sheet, various ledgers
The tax return function looks well designed but I have not had the need to use it yet.
Intuitive to use, with good tutorials
Good online help and FAQ/KB section
Good quality and fast customer support

Cons

For the smaller business who fancies something a bit more than the basic Quickbooks, it is a little pricey and I don't use the payroll/time tracking and projects features or have multiple users which would better justify the higher price.

The account linking is poor to middling for credit cards with manual imports and some data manipulation required. Even when I log in to Lloyds and get my bank accounts I can't see my Lloyds credit cards, although this may well be a limitation on the Bank side.

Ben S.

Clean and easy to use interface

Reviewed on 6/11/2010

FreeAgent is an easy to use accounting system with integrated proposal, invoicing, expense and mileage modules, as well as the usual accounting functionality like VAT and bank account reconsolidation (explaining all transactions). We find that it offers good value and saves us time and hassle.

Declaration: we offer FreeAgent to our clients but have tried to keep this review as objective as possible for the sake of credibility. We do use FreeAgent ourselves after having reviewed a few online accounting systems.

Pros

- Clean and easy to use interface
- Easy and professional invoicing with email templates and automatic reminders
- Integration with Google Apps (single sign on - universal navigation) and Capsule CRM
- VAT calculations with easy linking to HMRC

Cons

None so far. It would be great if we could have an even deeper integration with Capsule and perhaps other CRM's as well?

Talon R.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Easily Navigated Platform

Reviewed on 9/2/2019

Customer service and helpfulness of reps is amazing.

Pros

Primarily, the best part about this product is Ease of use. Very straight forward and simplistic to learn.

Cons

This product has 2 drawbacks:
Doesn't text customers

Email campaign tracking features are very limited

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Talon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it! We've also passed your product feedback along to our Product Team.