FreeAgent

FreeAgent has been voted the UK's #1 accounting software.

4.2/5
4.3/5
4.3/5
4.4/5

125 Software options

Simon P.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Free for NatWest Business customers, very straightforward accounting software for small...

Reviewed on 15/4/2021

All positive - occasionally have to try and work out how to do something, but customer support are very good and responsive if you get really stuck. For someone who would struggle with the accounting side of running a child's piggy bank, FreeAgent is worth its weight in gold!

Pros

It basically does all the required accounting without having to pay for an accountant to do it for you. The biggest benefit when it comes to tracking business tax and completing a tax return as it pretty much does it all for you.

Cons

Sometimes it's tricky to work out how something works and you have to go and get help from customer support, but this may be more user incompetence than anything wrong with the software!

Xero

Reasons for Choosing FreeAgent

I was getting to the point of needing to pay for some of the options (I honestly can't remember the name of the software used previously and don't want to put the wrong one in!)

Reasons for Switching to FreeAgent

NatWest provided the service free and it appeared to have everything needed.
Richard B.

Great for small business that want their weekend back

Reviewed on 2/10/2019

I've gone from from a struggle one man band that worked all day and did the paperwork each evening, to having time to spend with the family, and being able to see what I ned to pay to HMRC and when, and I can now see that sending out my invoices in good time, means that the customers are paying me, so the stress levels have gone down so much.

Pros

I no longer have to nominate which computer is the one that the accounts is on.
I can open a web browser on the PC in my home office and enter my hours, mileage, upload photos of receipts, automatially let it reconcile the bank and credit card statements, and let it get on with doing the calcuations.
I no longer have to set aside a weekend each month for doing invoices and expenses.
or the last weekend of each quarter for doing the VAT return
or various days of the last month of each financial year for doing the annual return.

Cons

Now that the company has made enough money to be able to purchase three cars, it would be nice if the mileage drop down had options for company owned vehicles and the AFR mileage rates, but it only has AMAP rates for personally owned bike, motorcycle or car.

Stella A.
  • Industry: Human Resources

As an event planner, it makes me happy to use FreeAgent because of easy access.

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Estimates and proposals
Invoice templates
Simple payroll and automatic back feeds
Tax timelines (you'll never miss a deadline again!)
Self-assessment tax return filing
Unlimited users and transactions
Support accountants are available to answer any questions
First 30 days are free, I was excited about this and I was very happy about this.

Pros

Cheap depending on your business needs or the size of the business.
Famous for its incredible invoice templates
Shows your real-time profit position and it automatically updates your accounts.
Cloud-based, so there is no software to download or install
The interface is very friendly and lovely.

Cons

Online help, known as My Business Works Support has been known to be rather unhelpful and excessively rude
Tends to receive bugs or glitches that often take time to repair, if fixable at all
Even though this program offers Multiple Currency options, the proper support for this feature is seriously lacking
Not very quick with software updates (some have been waiting years for new and desired features)

Rouska L.
  • Industry: Design

Essential tool for managing finance

Reviewed on 2/7/2018

Pros

* Auto integration with banking API feeds
* Intelligent learning for your regular banking transactions
* Templates for sending invoices etc
* VAT & SA form integration with HMRC

Cons

* Slightly clunky UI for viewing recent expenses
* Inability to remove user's who have left the business

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Rouska,

Thank you for the positive review of FreeAgent. It was great to hear about all of the features that are most valuable to you. We appreciate the additional feedback too and have passed it along to our Product Team.

All the best,
The FreeAgent Team

Takes the pain out of keeping accounts

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

Pros: ability to photograph receipts and store them within expenses
All the main categories of expenses are there
Links to your business bank account

Cons

Con: One major drawback is that you can't print out a consolidated tax return before or after filing. For sole traders a tax return is often the only way to prove income when applying for loans, etc, and HMRC doesn't offer this service either.

• Industry: Executive Office

Make life easier

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

It makes my life easier. I was spending at least half a day totting up time spent and billing clients but Freeagent does it all for me at the touch of a button. That has been the absolute stand out time saving feature for me. Plus it's not complicated, easy to use and displays everything clearly.

Cons

Every month I have to re-input the tasks for clients. I wish it would hold onto those so that I could re-use them for my ongoing clients.

Keeps me informed and saves time and money

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

It allows me to keep on top of the financial position of my company allowing me to make decisions with up to date knowledge. Compared to my peers who don't use the software I am saving time and money doing my accounting.

Cons

The mobile app is not as feature rich and some of the functionality that it does have does not share the same options as the web version e.g. split transactions

Very convenient and easy to use/implement

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

Ease to use, easy to input data and access to overview info. quote feature is SO convenient. Gives you the professional looks we wanted to transmit to our customers. Convenient database to keep track on projects

Cons

Reports adjustments and correcting info is a bit complicated. You gotta go around several times in order to have the chance to modify data that was missplaced.

Kevin P.

Excellent

Reviewed on 19/1/2015

I've been using FreeAgent for several years and now do the book-keeping for four separate companies using it. Having changed from the abominable Sage, I found FreeAgent a breath of fresh air. Even for my busiest company, I find I only have to do the book-keeping when the VAT is due every quarter and it takes no more than a day.
At the end of each financial year, I give my accountant restricted access to they can prepare the accounts.
I also find the advice I get from FreeAgent priceless- whether that's what I can claim for "home use" or how to iron out inconsistencies with journal entries.
Overall, an excellent product. My only criticism is that the automatic downloading of bank statements takes so long that I've turned it off and manually download/upload them as it's quicker.

Fully featured
Good guidance built into the process of "explaining" entries
Fairly efficient "guessing" of transactions
Excellent support

Cons

Automatic bank account synchronisation doesn't work efficiently for me (I use Lloyds)

Excellent Product

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

It's easy to use, when I've needed to contact customer support they have responded promptly. I have no problem whatsoever recommending this to anyone, in fact I have and we've started using it for our not for profit user group. I can't go back to not using it.

Its good

Reviewed on 9/2/2018

Pros

Easy to setup and use - the mobile app is pretty good making it easy to add expenses. Bank feed is handy. I use the API to import expenses.

Cons

Expensive compared to competitors like Xero, bank feed is slow. Perhaps you can add integrations for credit cards too to automatically pull in expenses.

Henry

I like Freeagent

Reviewed on 18/3/2014

I've been using freeagent now for just under a year and I'm really impressed by the amount of work that has gone into making this such an intuative accounting package. The customer support is quick and it has a number of excellent features, although I would like to see more - things like the lack of proper multi currency support is an issue for me also...and it has been on the 'to do' list for some time now.

Pros

Ease of use, good features, excellent graphics, totally customisible

Cons

There are some niggly bugs that still pop up every now & again. Although none of these are major (e.g. a bank account feed stop working etc.) and they are simple to fix, it does take time away from what I'm supposed to be doing.

Nora I.

Reviewed on 9/2/2018

Tom H.

Subathra M.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Best accounting software

Reviewed on 26/11/2018

Pros

Easy to use. Multiple payment options Paypal, Stipe etc.,) integration possible. Multicurrency invoicing option is good. Email Invoicing and time tracking is good.

Cons

No major cons are seen in this software. Little expensive compared with similar applications. But it is worth paying.

Tony M.

Reviewed on 29/10/2016

Andy R.
  • Industry: Media Production

Reasobnable software for small to micro business but with a few tragic flaws

Reviewed on 6/9/2018

Be very wary of this company's operating proceedures...

Pros

The software is access able over the internet, the front end looks OK and the and set up is fairly quick.

Cons

When i was in dispute with my accountant after they missed my annual return date I decided to change accountants. The accountants were able to cut off my access until I had paid their bill, including the cost of my annual return and pay roll which they didn't even perform. Needing access I had to pay rather than wait the two week period as stipulated by FreeAgent. I have since changed to a software where I am in control of access to my accounts.. All the customer service team could do was argue with me...

Tim B.

Not bad, but not great!

Reviewed on 5/12/2016

The software is well organized and basically fits our needs, but could use improvements in many key areas. One being reporting and employees - former employees remain listed for reports even though they are not needed. It would be far easier to just list active employees to make creating reports easier. Add to that that there is no way to create custom reports that you use regularly. All and all the software works well, it just needs some enhancements to these areas to make it easier to use.

Alg000

lacks multi-currency support

Reviewed on 3/4/2013

FreeAgent lacks proper support multiple currency. Around a year ago, they said they were adding it. A year later, it's still not there! If you need this feature, its absence is a real killer. Xero seems to have it.

Pros

Interface is pretty good.

Cons

They say they are "working on" this crucial feature but a year later, nothing.

Response from FreeAgent UK online accounting software

Hi there. FreeAgent has multi-currency, multi-language invoicing and as of early 2014 allows you to record bank accounts in a foreign currency also.

Great

Reviewed on 12/2/2018

My accounting needs are quite basic and I haven't used Free Agent for long enough to have found cons yet.

Pros

The visibility it provides me on my business. Easy to use, the link with the bank account makes things very straightforward.

• Industry: Accounting

Painful to use, Clunky and not great

Reviewed on 11/3/2019

Using the software was very awkward and restrictive. I lost confidence in it very early on.
My experience has been years of utter frustration.
Regular promises of fixes and upgrades never materialised over the last 3 years and despite sticking with it, and getting the software for free, I ended up having to opt for better software.
Customer services are quick to respond but they tend to misinterpret your issue. Their idea of helping is sending you a link to a long drawn out document that frustrates you even more than the original issue. Most of the issues can't be resolved by sympathetic customer support reps because they are hard-coded into the software as basic incapabilities.

Pros

It's a Scottish company, albeit taken over by an anti-Scottish UK bank.
Customer services are relatively quick to respond but don't often understand or resolve your issue.
They do send you a Monday motivator which is useful.
It's now free if you bank with RBS/Nat West, but I'd rather not bank with either and even at £0 it's not worth it. I'd rather pay for a decent software and save the cost of hours of inefficiency and extra accountancy fees later.

Cons

It is very clunky and awkward to use.

It is very expensive for what it is and definitely not even worth using for free.

Several essential basic functions are missing and it is very restrictive/prescriptive forcing you to work their way or not at all.

Customer services regularly have to fudge "workarounds" to fill the gaps in FreeAgent's basic functionality and often these "workarounds" make more mess than doing nothing, leaving you with more to pay your accountant to fix it.

FreeAgent does several things in very unusual ways and then doesn't allow you to fix them.
Payroll does post journals into your ledgers but even the best accountants can't make any sense of them.

This software tries to be all things to small businesses giving tools that quite frankly are dangerous to unqualified accountants. It allows you to do your own VAT, Corporation Tax and Self Assessment wrongly, without any tax planning advice which could cost you tens of thousands of pounds in VAT/tax that isn't due, not to mention HMRC penalties etc. I know of several clients who have overpaid an absolute fortune and had seriously damaging run-ins with HMRC as a direct result of trying to DIY using this software.

Buyer BEWARE!!!

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,

We¿re really sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and frustrations. If there's anything we can do to help improve your experience, or any additional feedback you'd like to share with us, please contact us at @[email protected]

Warm regards,

Ian F.
  • Industry: Sports

Freeagent comments

Reviewed on 9/9/2021

Freeagent has provided my new company with a free, user-friendly and generally effective business accounting system

Pros

It came free linked to my sign-up to my online business banking account. Customer support is quick and comprehensive. It's reasonably user-friendly for the non-accountant to use.

Cons

It can sometimes confuse as to where administration input linked to an expense transaction should be applied - through the bank account app or Freeagent

Stephen H.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Good product, good UI, good customer support, a bit pricey but worth it for my business.

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

FreeAgent is a fully-featured accounting and invoicing web app that comes with a great little mobile app too.

It has a really clear and easy-to-use interface, making it easy to navigate and produce invoices, check your accounts for selected periods, track your time, manage projects... the list goes on. But for all the functionality, it never feels cluttered.

I've experienced great support whenever I've asked for it and it hasn't ever produced any unexpected errors or bugs. It just works.

Cons

I wanted to recommend this product to my wife for her business but it's just a little bit too expensive for a startup small sole trader company like hers. A reduced cost account type for single users would be great.

David S.

Essential accounting software for any growing business

Reviewed on 21/2/2018

Pros

We've been using Freeagent for over 5 years. In that time frame my company has grown from being a sole-trader to an incorporated limited company with employees. To say that Freeagent has helped facilitate that growth would be an understatement.

We now use Freeagent for our VAT submission (saving us £200pq accountants fees), Payroll (saving us £10pm per employee), Sending out client estimates/invoices, and what we originally bought it for... Book keeping and accounting.

We have Freeagent connected to our bank feeds, meaning we are only ever 24hrs out of date with our live bank accounts. This is now a common practice with similar software, but for us it came just at the right time.

Their team of inhouse accountancy experts is also an incredible resource that we use around once a quarter, or whenever something new crops up that we might need some help with. We still use the skill of an account for filing our end of year accounts, but we could even do this with free agent.

Cons

The one thing that has been a niggle like a tiny pebble in your shoe, or scratch on the roof of your mouth, is that you cannot send a remittance! Many people have requested this functionality but it has largely been ignored by the freeagent team. I have no idea whether it is a technical or philosophical reason they've just not engaged with it... If they did implement this functionality it would pretty much make it perfect for my companies needs.

John M.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Great accounting software

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Very clean app gives good insights from the overview page.

Pros

It's just so easy to use. We run our plumbing business with this app and it integrates well with Commusoft our field service management software reducing time spent double entering information and doing tasks like invoicing. Now we invoice and complete the job in Commusoft and it pushes al the relevant information to Freeagent.

Cons

It only does CIS one way. As we have grown from a subcontractor into a contractor that now employs subcontractors we need a simple way to process CIS invoices from our SC's

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear how you and your business use FreeAgent. Thanks for the feedback about CIS too, we've passed it along to our product team.