1,029 reviews
1,029 reviews
Eliabeth P.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

My favorite project management system by miles

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

I've used Workfront with three different companies over the last five years. I've been able to use Workfront to help cut campaign request, approval and building in half, to solve the "everything through email" issue and to manage an extremely high volume of request from internal, external and disparate teams in a large organization that is change resistant. It's been meldable, helpful and honestly fun to learn and grow with Workfront as a company and as a system.

Pros

I love that Workfront is easy to configure and change as your organization grows. It's easy to stay up to speed with and make changes based on system changes and your organization changing. I also am in love with the reporting and custom data features. Custom forms and the ability to manipulate them to get data has been invaluable in every organization I've been in to date that has used Workfront.

Cons

I don't really have a ton of complaints if the system is configured well. Maybe that there are too many features? It can be a lot to wrap your head around but if you have the time to get to know it it is irreplaceable.

Dawn M.

Good Stuff

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

From implementation to the partners - it's great!

Pros

It helps streamline work. A business that runs more efficiently is going to be the leader of the pack.

Cons

I think resource mapping could use a touch more work. I'd love to see a heat map.

Sara T.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

PMO take on Workfront

Reviewed on 8/5/2019

I am a champion of Workfront for my company, although I am a SME/admin and not responsible for the day to day Workfront use, it was a great experience begin involved in the implementation and owning one of the workstreams. Workfront lets you become a SME and get to know the system so easily, without constantly changing it (or providing straight forward changes that do not interrupt your day to day work.

Pros

Going from using four different platforms to manage the intake, planning and execution of projects
(ServiceNow, excel, Smartsheet and Microsoft Project) down to 1 single platform has been a life saver for the teams that I am on for my company. We were able to train our submitters on one system, built our own workflows, and then turned around and trained our PM's on the same system. One Pro I love is that we can make changes and enhancements on the drop of a hat (well, with planning and thought ahead of time), versus ServiceNow, where it took us 2-3 minutes to simply change a field name. I also enjoy the time and attention that Workfront has given to my company, they listen well and problem solve along side us, not just for us,

Cons

We are still in the Legacy Resource Planner because we have set up our job roles for each team, so the legacy system lets us set capacity estimates when planning projects (for example, Our Integration team is all under Integration job role, but we allocated 10% of their time in our resource planner towards discretionary projects, which allows us to better plan and prioritize this huge bucket of work). There is no way for us to set capacity %'s for job roles in the new system, without creating new job roles.

Industry: Hospitality
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

I was hesitant, but I'm a believer

Reviewed on 7/8/2018

I'll admit... they sort of had to drag me kicking and screaming into using Workfront. I feared that it was going to be one of those things where it took more time to document/track what you're doing than it took to actually do it. Fortunately that turned out not to be the case. We've found a good balance between tracking things and not having to "feed the beast" all the time.

Pros

Workfront is quite versatile for tracking projects and larger workflows. We use it for individual projects, ongoing work efforts, and even tracking ideas for future development. Other areas of our business use it as a request queue as well, which helps us to put in requests with our communication team and even log suggestions for office improvements. A decent (but not mindblowing) reporting suite with text and simple graphic output helps share status updates.

Cons

The reporting suite could allow for a bit more freedom; it feels slightly stilted when trying to use it. I also was not a fan of the option to have the software tell you that you're on track or behind. I prefer to assign the status myself as I'm involved with the project more intimately and have more of the big picture. Fortunately that's easily changeable in the project settings. The real cons are honestly self-induced. The temptation is there to track all the minutiae of every little bit of the project. And you certainly can... but it ends up being counterproductive as you spend more time updating than doing. Keep your items lofty and you'll avoid that trap.

Caroline S.
Industry: Computer Software
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Ideal tool for the administration of high level projects

Reviewed on 27/5/2019

This tool has allowed to carry out a better organization, planning and management of large business projects since it provides all the appropriate tools for it, being able to prioritize projects, monitor their status and collaborate with different team members, making the work much simpler of everyday.

Pros

I like this tool since it is ideal to carry out the administration of high level projects, and this is thanks to the fact that it provides the adequate tools and a configuration that is highly customizable, thus doing the management, collaboration and work in team is much simpler and more fluid, has high quality report reports because they are very detailed and easy to understand, also allows members who are in different countries to collaborate with each other just by sending a request to them and assign assignments that make the development of the project much faster, being able to exchange ideas and comments among them, as well as being able to monitor the progress of each user or the project in general and the best thing is that the tool is always updated and It is very easy to use, which is why it is suitable for the management of large projects.

Cons

One of the things that I think I do not like is that he does not have a live chat and it would be very appropriate since the communication would be much more direct and fast, in addition to his costs or plans are somewhat confusing and to know the same You must communicate through calls with your team since they are not on your platform.

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Great Project Management Tool

Reviewed on 25/8/2020

Overall, this is the perfect tool for marketing teams specifically, especially those who practice more of the agile marketing strategies. We previously used Trello, which I love, but Workfront provides so many more features, analytics, and potential for better collaboration among teams.

Pros

We started using Workfront several months ago so that we could better track our projects, deadlines and time spent on each tasks. I think it’s pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it, but it can take some time to implement and get everyone on board. It’s perfect for keeping the team organized and on track, and it helps us make sure we aren’t spending to much time on certain projects. You can easily tag users to provide updates; upload documents to share; provide proofs which is especially beneficial for collaboration amongst graphics designers, content managers, and marketing strategists; log your time spent on each task; and so much more. It also provides data so you can see how many projects each team member is doing, how much time is being spent, etc which is super helpful for determining a team’s efficiency.

Cons

It can be a challenge to get it up and running. It’s very complex so learning all of the features can take some time. Setting up some of the tasks and due dates can be frustrating and prone to human error, but overall it’s a great tool.

Angela S.

Couldn't Do My Job Without It

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

We are solving lack of visibility into the work that hits our team, we also are using Workfront to demonstrate where we are lacking capacity to complete tasks and to collaborate on proofs in one place vs. having a million emails and different sign-offs where people can't see what others have already commented or signed off on.

Pros

Allows me to manage 100's of tasks assigned to me, enter time I spend on those task, assign to and collaborate with others all within one tool without having to keep tons of email chains, and allows me to easily demonstrate to management what it is I am working on, how long I spend on it, and introduce opportunities to improve upon the data/processes that we are capturing in Workfront.

Cons

Can be hard to teach others to use it because there are many ways of doing the same thing, it's customizable but I think there are some aspects that are surprisingly not customizable that a lot of other businesses would use, and I would really like a way to create object that aren't as big as projects but require a little more effort than Tasks. It's also hard to report comprehensively on tasks and projects if your team has a healthy mix of both.

Emma j. H.
Industry: Publishing

Workfront Leading the Frontier of Web-Based Project Management Systems

Reviewed on 11/10/2018

Workfront is a great web-based project management platform. It is well-designed, and the company continues to make updates to improve it's platform and does not just sit on their hands for one annual update.

It is very easy to link projects, manage workflows, the reporting is intuitive, and much more. In addition, asset management is streamlined with ability to house documents within projects, or as my company does for larger programs that span multiple projects, create an actual Document Repository project that can be used across multiple boards.

The community is very engaged and admins and project managers can speak together to help figure out the more advanced parts of the platform and how to help arrive at the endpoint your are searching for, wherever possible.

They have phenomenal integration with other platforms, with options to have full DAM and more, but each add on increases the price (naturally).

Even as they develop, they tend to have beta areas and accept feedback to continue to improve before they launch something that would impact the entire platform.

Pros

Well-designed
Continual Updates from Workfront instead of waiting to fix problems
Ease of linking projects with cross-predecessors
Managing Workflows
Reporting
DAM
Engaged community with other Project Managers to discuss best ways to utilize Workfront
Integration with other platforms

Cons

I am interested in almost all that Workfront has to offer, but to have everything it can do can be cost-prohibitive. My company has utilized other platforms, that may be less efficient and harder to keep everything consolidated, simply because of the additional cost of utilizing the feature in Workfront.

Industry: Higher Education
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Better than nothing, still not great

Reviewed on 6/5/2020

I go to Workfront to see what's been assigned to me. I'm not responsible for creating projects.

My overall experience is that it's good enough, but even after using it for a few yearsr I have trouble filtering out the noise.

Pros

Workfront is more advanced than the system we had before (an Excel spreadsheet!) and it does make it possible for a department of 25 people to sort projects, keep track of updates and share proofs. This is especially useful now that we're working remotely. The calendar view is handy and I like being able to upload proofs directly to the project so the relevant people can keep track of them.

Cons

There's so much noise. Tabs we never use, duplicated information, several fields containing unimportant information. It takes a while to sift through to find the meaty information, which is usually under Custom Forms of all places. It's not intuitive.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Ahmed H.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Workfront is our way to success in Project Mangement even if it more expensive than other competitors

Reviewed on 29/8/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We are using WorkFront for about 2 years now and is very pleased with the functionality and feature set it provides to meet our needs to manage
Workfront takes time and effort to implement, but anything worthwhile should. Workfront's team has been very helpful to us and really cares that we earn a win for our team.
I am an end user of Workfront within teams. Workfront helps me keep on track with all my work, tracking progress and deadlines to ensure all work is delivered efficiently and on time.

Pros

Customization and Small Duration to be built and including good tools for Project Management
In case of owning a lot of tasks on daily basis: Workfront is the best for monitoring and follow up
Including all the required Reports for Top Management
Very Good Support Team
Always upgrading and adding new features and reports

Cons

I couldn’t reach how to automate prioritizing projects and assigning project, I am searching for this feature currently
Company should have a process before using this software else it will not add anything to the work flow
Higher Cost than other simpler software’s companies
Hard to get team members to update data consistently, which impacts project status/reporting

Jessa S.

I think that Workfront is a very innovative system - I think there are some missing pieces too.

Reviewed on 2/5/2018

Pros

I like that Workfront is pretty easy to navigate, I also like the new front with integrations coming into play. I like how easy it is to do reporting and leverage reports into dashboards.

Cons

I do not like the lack of ability to customize user instances. I would prefer to hide everything that a user does not need to see or use to make it way more basic. Right now, the system is not structured to do this by user only by group or permission settings. I think it's also annoying to have current-pending projects not be an option to show on the legacy gnatt and it's a pretty easy feature. I'd also like to see more development with roles and skillsets not the basic settings for primary and secondary roles. I'm happy to hear that the help desk will be restructuring requests going to specific topics such as reporting. I have used the help desk before and have found it frustrating that the consultant I am assigned does not have the knowledge to address my concern/question and I get passed along through the pipe until I reach someone who can. I'd like to see development in reporting more.

Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Versatile Tool That Helps You Get Stuff Done

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

The biggest thing is controlling the chaos and putting all project related info in one place.

Pros

The tool allows use to build standardization across the global network while allowing for some customizations for individual business units. The tool also has a ton of features that allows a business unit to grow and mature in the tool and in the industry

Cons

The biggest thing for me is the price. It is an expensive tool and so some business units have to do weird or fancy workarounds to reduce the number of licenses purchased. This means they are not using the tool to its fullest potential.

Marty H.

Reports Text Mode

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

Pros

It's not the software, but the company behind it. I really appreciate the forward thinking view into how you can make work better, easier, more engaging for your customers. I'm extremely excited about the new Workfront experience and can't wait to dig into the new way to engage my teams at work.

Cons

Reporting. It's very easy to set up a report that tells you what you want if it's a default object in the system. If you want to customize or combine information it becomes a lot more complex. I've gotten into textmode and have scripted a single expression that's well over a thousand characters, with many of those characters simply being a repeated algorithm. It would be so much better if I could write in a more object oriented model using a familiar language like Javascript. I've also learned to aggregate information, but I want to build scripts that display the output in a string with combined information rather than summing a single source of information. All possible with Javascript and similar languages.

Julie C.
Industry: Graphic Design

Robust project management software – almost too robust

Reviewed on 6/2/2019

Based on what is written in Cons above, one can see that using Workfront can be a quite frustrating experience. But, once you learn to customize and streamline the software to fit your department's specific needs, it is pretty efficient in helping our workflow.

Pros

Fairly clean user interface; modern look and feel, with an almost "social media-esque" based interactions in the Updates tab for each project. Proficient and efficient tracking and management of jobs, with the ability to assign each team member to their respective task(s).

Cons

The biggest issue our team has encountered is within the proofing process. There are almost too many ways to upload and submit project files that need to be sent to the Proof stage. Three different people could upload a proof in 3 different ways – and/or in 3 different areas. (Examples: in the Documents tab in the main project; in a Task area for a different subtask; through the sidebar on the right side of the page, where use can click "Ask for Approval", etc.) That's meant to sound confusing and brain-melting, because that's how it often feels in trying to simply send a file for approval and, in turn, receive feedback. We also find ourselves needing to "tag" basically anyone and everyone who MAY be associated with the project. Just in the hopes they'll actually receive the Updates and/or notifications.

David G.

Easy use & easy adoption

Reviewed on 20/10/2015

The Workfront system is great and is pretty intuitive to use. I've had folks around the office call it the Facebook of project management tools and it is to some degree. If your users can use Facebook, they'll be able to figure out how to use this system. The greater burden will always be on your plan license users (hopefully your project managers) to learn the ins and outs of what they can accomplish with the tool. It has a lot of features and can be customized greatly.

Pros

Lots of features and can be customized through the use of custom forms, custom intake processes and reporting tools that allow you to pull pretty much any piece of information you want to see. These reports can also be tailored to specific user groups so they see just what you want them to see or what they have specific access to see. Tasking is handled pretty easily and is aggregated for each user on their My Work page. Depending on work style and workload (# of tasks) I'd highly recommend educating folks to keep their Working On area clean and only pick up new requests as they can begin working on them.

Cons

The current iteration of the resourcing tools need some additional polish. The tool is currently built in flash and per discussions with some consultants there are 2 separate flash pieces that don't always talk to each other very well. We're waiting on additional upgrades the company is planning on making to see how we can best utilize these and report on the information they collect. There's a great grid report for showing availability across users and job roles but it is also built in flash so it's not customizable - it would be extremely valuable if it were something you could tailor and customize while retaining the grid view.

Industry: Computer Software

Extremely robust

Reviewed on 8/5/2019

By having a single system for processing and tracking all our Marketing projects, we have improved the planning for the Creative team (primary users) but also the entire Marketing organization, which by virtue of working within Workfront becomes more aware of the way all the parts depend on each other, the importance of certain deadlines, etc. We have also enabled our org to track and easily report out on progress, status, achievements, etc.

Pros

Workfront is fantastic for capturing and tracking data. It's also great for providing different levels of visibility for different kinds of users, and there is lots of scope for customizing for the way your specific organization works, and the way specific users work.

Cons

The user interface has been challenging, especially for occasional users who don't have the time or inclination to figure out the finer points of communicating and finding things within Workfront. The new UI that is being planned for summer looks like a great improvement, with the ability to create simplified layout templates for these occasional users.

Scott S.

Workfront has really improved the way we work and helps get things done.

Reviewed on 30/11/2015

We started our PMO in 2009, needing a way to get a handle on our project intake and help define our project management methodology. We purchased Workfront (formerly AtTask) back then and have been happily using it ever since. The initial implementation was quick. Getting the system configured and putting users in there was the easy part. Being a new PMO and going through the motions of defining our process was the hard part. Workfront made it a little easier because allowed us to have a starting point and the basis of best practices. The tool is easy to use, so flexible, and has really improved the way we work. Its been so effective for us at the University that usage has expanded from just our Technology department to 5 other groups and that number keeps on growing. The technical support has been great when we needed it, the company has listened to customer's suggestions as well as trends in the industry, and the adoption for the tool has been steady, really becoming an essential tool for every day work. There are many PPM tools out there, all doing much of the same core functions, but Workfront has the edge when it comes to usability. Things in the software just make sense, and work. Its that simple.
Pros - The system is highly configurable, can match your process and methodology - usability is top notch. The user interface makes sense and is easy to get used to - if you've thought about it, its probably in the software. If its not, you can request it and be sure that the company is listening and it might make it into the next release. - manages much more than just projects, it manages all of your stuff.
Cons - The company has gone through immense growth in the last 6 years so there has been instability in our customer support success manager, (not the technical support). We've had several different of these account managers over the years. - the license price changed as the software grew and caught us off guard (although the company was great and negotiated with us and was very accommodating - there is an API that allows you to connect and integrate other software into the tool, which is great, but there isn't great documentation or training on how to do it for beginners.

Industry: Pharmaceuticals
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

A total work management solution, not just "an app to buy."

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

I love the platform. I cannot imagine going backwards and using a non-automated work solution. Having everything in one place will make it easier to master modern work™.

Pros

I love the ability to collaborate with fellow workers and keep all of that information in one container. Having used the old "Excel workflow," having a dynamically updated workflow management solution allows me to know what exactly is going on, who's working on it, who's approved it, etc. I love how it keeps everyone honest and encourages transparancy across all actors. And the proofing tool is amazing.

Cons

Sometimes, it feels as if we're clicking all over the place. There is that sense of confusion, which looks as if it's being addressed in the new interface coming out in the summer. I feel as if sometimes, things are needlessly confusing. Text mode can be frustrating for Plan users. There are things that feel as if they should Just Work...and those things are the most complicated to solve.

Kyle C.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Hands down, without Workfront my job would be frustrating.

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

I have to manage multiple projects a week, and Workfront allows me to stay on top of everything from the start of the project all the way through the launch date.

Pros

As a recent college grad (and first career job), this is my first experience with a work project management system. In school, they don't teach you about this at all. I imagined everything was done via email or voice. Using this system makes managing projects efficient and convenient. A few things I love the most are the actual projects that allow me to allocate resources, assign tasks, upload documents, and have timelines and lists of my projects.

Cons

The main dashboard was a little hard to navigate at first, and the update a few months ago made it worse. BUT, the new design rollout today I am super excited for!!

Chrissy J.
Industry: Management Consulting
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great for managing tasks, set up can be time consuming

Reviewed on 5/6/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Overall, the pros of having a SaaS that provides me a task "to-do" list every day outweighs the time spent up front making sure projects are set up and assigned out correctly. Visibility into an entire team's work load is a major plus as well.

Pros

Very useful for managing tasks once projects are all set up. I generally have at least 100+ different tasks that I'm working on at any given time, so being able to sort and organize by the day they are due and have that view is a lifesaver. The calculated allocation is also useful to see if it is even possible to accomplish everything in a given work week.

Cons

If you have a project to set up that doesn't follow a template, you will spend A LOT of time getting your tasks, milestones, etc. all set up and assigning the work out. It can also be cumbersome to modify task due dates if they change.

Chris T.
Industry: Higher Education
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Workfront is a robust, project management beast – almost to a fault

Reviewed on 7/12/2018

Our department has been using Workfront for about 4 months, and its implementation has been quite a challenge. Four months into using it, we're still trying to streamline its features and capabilities to suit our needs. We're growing accustomed to it, but it has been a frustrating process.

Pros

Previously, our marketing team used Workamajig for project management, so Workfront has been a major step up. User Interface is aesthetically pleasing; communication under project "Updates" is similar to social media interaction among team members. Extensive tracking of projects, tasks, proofing and file exchange/uploads.

Cons

Some of the same things listed above in *most* liked can almost fall under this category of *least* liked. Workfront has so many capabilities, it can be a challenge to streamline them to fit a team's specific needs. Examples: Tasks, sub-tasks, Updates under the main job; updates within the job's tasks; tag a person in one location for them to see your comments; but don't have to tag them in another location; upload a proof in one location – assign team member as Reviewer/Approver, etc – but then try to add comments on the proof ad it gives the option again to "Approve this Job"; leave that checked or un-checked? Inability to adjust project due dates on the fly without it affecting everything within that project. The list goes on and on. Those examples are written in a jumble nonsensical fashion on purpose – to illustrate what it feels like trying to navigate Workfront on a daily basis.

Karen A.

Our vision for a single point of entry for MarCom project requests was greatly aided by Workfront.

Reviewed on 1/5/2018

Pros

User experience is excellent our clients love using it! The ability to create a multitude of reports (e.g. intake, tasks, how many requests and by who).

Using the notifications (on both site and cell) as ticklers to keep track of what to focus on.

Ability to decide what kind and how many notifications to receive.

Online training (Ascent) and resources to answer most questions.

Local communities (go Mid-Atlantic user group!) which offer an opportunity to collaborate with other system admins, workers and users.

Support has been very good. If we don't get a good resolution via email, we can either Skype or have a conversation. Usually resolve issues within 48 hours. IF it needs to be escalated, our customer rep is always on it.

LEAP!

Cons

With all the new integrations being offered, there isn't much I don't like. I will say it would be helpful to be able to respond to an email from someone, generated in Workfront, and have it captured on the project. Would also like to see all updates (project, task, proof) ALL show up in the update feed.

Craig P.

Workfront for collaboration

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

This system help us to get better control over our process

Pros

Easy to use. Pretty good reporting and a great overall project management tool.

Cons

There are multiple ways to do the same thing. A pro and a con.

Lauren J.
Industry: Publishing

Wouldn't be without it now. It is vital for our project management and data analysis for planning.

Reviewed on 18/5/2017

Visibility and transparency across our projects (10 per year), more accurate information for resource forecasting and project planning.

Pros

Personally, reporting is the most useful for me. I run reports daily to glean information for resourcing and future project planning. For our editors, the project plans are vital to manage 100s of tasks in one place and assign work to their team members.

Cons

It can be slow and temperamental at times. Dragging and dropping tasks is a no-no! You never know where it will end up! It is largely intuitive but I have found that it is only by trial and error that I have learned how to ask for what I want to see in reports. Not always immediately obvious. Updates can affect reports also and render them useless / not working as they were before the update.

Ifeoma O.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Everyone can manage projects with Workflow.

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

Pros

We were able to customize Workfront to fit into the immediate needs of the different departments in my organization.Making it easy for everyone to collaborate with anyone in the organization ; across teams and different departments.
Thus making the workflow process of every department easily trackable and transparent. The process of allocating resources for project and managing these resources is much easier because with Workload everyone is almost like a Project manager , only they don't bear the title officially.

Cons

Team members have complained about sometime encountering errors when trying to comment on tasks.Also currently ,there is no means via which we are able to visualize our workflow on Workfront.