Sage 50cloud Accounting Reviews

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Cloud-connected accounting solution for small business

3.5/5

Prof Cephas
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Super Integrated Cloud Accounting and Finance app

Reviewed on 15/1/2022

I found this accounting software to be very useful mainly to small and medium size companies and to a limited extent, to some large companies. It performs all the basic accounting functions relating to accounts receivables and accounts payables, inventory management, cash management and budgeting and compiling and producing financial statements.

Pros

1. Sage 50c offers user friendly navigation tools such as the menu bar, the tool bar, system navigation and
function and shortcut keys.
2. The software has cloud storage
3. A user can easily create and setup a new company using the Auto Setup facility
4. One can also easily create and edit general ledger accounts, inventory categories/items, supplier and
customer accounts, among others.
5. A user can easily import/export data from other sources. This saves a lot of time.
6. The software is integrated with other apps, for example, Microsoft emails and excel

Cons

1. Sage 50c requires proper and adequate training. The training is expensive
2. On average, it is expensive to buy this accounting package.
3. The integration with other apps (accounting and non-accounting) is still limited.
4. Sage 50c does not run on some operating systems, for example, windows NT.

martinho
  • Industry: Executive Office

I have been using the sage billing system for several years. I recommend

Reviewed on 15/2/2020

It is software that has been with me daily for several years, I'm already in tune with the program, the experience is fantastic

Pros

Very intuitive, easy to perform everyday tasks , Has very important sales charts, In the main frame we have all the necessary information, we don't need to go around opening several menus.

Cons

In my case, I cannot reconcile with my accountant , It is not easy to layout invoices is not a very easy process

Oracle Primavera Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Sage 50cloud Accounting

It was more expensive and was not as intuitive as sage.

Oracle Primavera Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Sage 50cloud Accounting

For the price, and the test I did was very easy, the menus are easy to learn. excellent software
John

Good...But A Little Expensive

Reviewed on 13/8/2018

I use the Canadian version of the software. I suspect it's basically the same as the American version, except for sales tax and payroll, but I would check a review of that version for any American users.

Pros

Sage 50 is an easy-to-use piece of accounting software aimed at SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises), and it is one of QuickBooks' major competitors.

It's fairly easy to find people who are familiar with Sage 50. That's a plus for small businesses looking to find an employee or outside service provider to take care of their books.

If you are looking to do the books yourself, Sage 50 is relatively easy to learn. They have thorough tutorials available to walk you through the basics.

Major transactions are grouped together under tabs on the left-hand navigation panel. The various workflows--receivables, payables, inventory and services, employees and payroll, and a 'company' category--are all shown graphically. Each task within a major area is represented as a labeled icon, making it is to start a new transaction from this screen. The 'company' link is a catch-all category, including general journal entries, the chart of accounts and tools for managing your data and accounting tasks.

Virtually every report that a small business could need is available in Sage 50.

Cons

I found Sage 50 to be glitchy in the past. I have spent too many hours on hold or on a call with their tech support.

I use the payroll-included version of Sage 50. I also have a support package. In all, that's not competitively priced. If it weren't for the fact that some clients have been using this software for years and are reimbursing me for the cost of the software, I would not be using it. QuickBooks is a better value.

Holly

A great in depth accounting program for businesses that is super user friendly

Reviewed on 13/11/2023

Its just a great tool, I have used other accounting software that no way near match up to Sage and cost more. I would highly recommend.

Pros

I love how in-depth the data/ reporting is, whilst still being so user friendly. It is such a great tool for everyone at every level in the accounts department. I also love how good the support is, there are so many different ways to contact them for their expert advice.

Cons

I don't have any negatives, Sage keep on top of things, offer upgrades/ updates when needed and also keep everyone in the loop if there is new legislation/ information coming out, all free of charge.

Brandon
Brandon
  • Industry: Package/Freight Delivery

Sage 50 Review

Reviewed on 14/5/2019

Sage has always been helpful through online or phone calls whenever you need them. Find the right consultant for you, and you experience improves.

Pros

There is alot of things that are already set up for you to just hit the ground running and a lot of items integrated into the system to help small businesses that need a solution but no time to customize a whole system.

Cons

Sage 50 allows for minimal customization from their out of the box set up software. This plays as an advantage, but does not allow you to get the information you want in the view you want.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Sage 50cloud Accounting

Seemed like more flexibility for our company to grow with instead of needing to upgrade at certain numbers of users, employees, or items.
Kathy
  • Industry: Hospitality

Sage 50 accounts

Reviewed on 29/8/2023

Its so easy to use and being able to see all of the transactions makes it so easy to investigate any anomalies unlike any of the other competitors packages

Pros

Its so easy to use and navigate and does everything that i could ask for

Cons

Nothing like is said above it does everything i want so what's not to like about sage

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Sage 50cloud Accounting

Its ease of use and navigation, report design and data export to excel
Terry
  • Industry: Design

Horribly Expensive / Lousy Customer Support

Reviewed on 13/3/2020

They downloaded the cloud version a few years ago. The first thing it did you erase everything, and I lost everything. Thankfully I had a flash drive backup, but it would only work if I purchased the EXPENSIVE version, which locked me into the EXPENSIVE version from then on.

Pros

I have used Sage for at least 20 years, going through I don't know how many name changes. Back when it was on a CD I didn't have a problem at all. At one time I had 2 stores and 8 employees. Now I am semi retired and work alone. It has served me well.

Cons

Some where along the way THEY decided to upgrade me to a higher level version on the Cloud. I don't want the Cloud. But since they upgraded me to a very costly version, there is no way they can downgrade to a simple version. All I want is the simple Traditional version. In January I had to reinstall the software, which I did. My invoice says this subscription expires 04/04/2021. But they are now billing me $732.95 due 04/06/2020, saying the other invoice is not correct. Their customer support if Horrible, IF they actually ever call you back. And thy aren't there on weekends.

Bonnie
  • Used for 2+ years

Software backup headache

Reviewed on 29/1/2020

Causes anxiety attacks. I have more negative things to say then I do positive. If you buy the program and upgrade and then downgrade expect to have some sleepless nights.

Pros

The software is fairly user friendly as far as reports and posting goes.

Cons

Every year you have to pay to upgrade to file and if you don't upgrade in the same version. YOU CANNOT open your back up files. Sage does not want to help they want your money. I have paid them thousands of dollars over the past 15 years and now I don't want to use the same expensive software but have downgraded to a affordable version for my little business. The computer I had the version that I could open my old files on crashed during a Microsoft update. Even though I have the backups I phoned sage to see how I could get the software back to open my backups and they told me I have to pay the fee to upgrade. I do use QBO online and much prefer this program and the people their are understanding.

Elliot

Sage50 - A great choice

Reviewed on 21/7/2023

A very positive experience overall. It allows us to easily assist our clients who use the same platform and sharing of data works perfectly. It looks like developments are coming so I think the product will become even stronger.

Pros

Sage is very user friendly and offers all of the options required to operate a small business. The insights provided are excellent and flexibility available is more than adequate.

Cons

It is lacking a little in terms of the add-ons when comparing to other products. Other than that an excellent

Adam
Adam

Ex user of Sage

Reviewed on 13/11/2017

Pros

The functionality available is very good, and the reporting capabilities are very good if you know how to use them.

Cons

The reporting side of Sage 50 requires a lot of knowledge which is not easily transferable. Also does not work on a Mac.

Heidi
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Easy to use, nice reports; troubleshooting and updates can be a pain

Reviewed on 25/5/2018

I used this software for really basic accounting functions and used a separate CRM and ERP software that I just journaled information from into Sage. It was great for that and for the everyday AP, payroll and GL. Overall I really liked it and it gave me few problems. The issue was that when there was a problem, it was really time-consuming to fix and I often had to bring in outside tech support when Sage couldn't solve the problem, so it cost a lot of extra time and money a few times a year.

Pros

I loved this program in that it seemed to be made for accountants, unlike some software that seems to be made for non-accountants. There are a lot of great reports to choose from, and each can be easily formatted to whatever file type you need. The payroll is awesome and easy to use.

Cons

Updates can sometimes cost you functionality, which can be a real problem if you are in the middle of payroll. Payroll information is only available for the current and previous calendar years, which is tough when you are undergoing an audit or due diligence. Some reports have limited time range parameters, so if you have a fiscal year that doesn't fit into those parameters, it can be annoying to run more than one report and combine the information. Also, there was one formula in the tax functions that didn't provide the correct number for some states, you had to enter it manually, which made us provide incorrect information and pay penalties because of it. I tried to do a data transfer from one company in sage to another, and several files were corrupted and didn't make it over. At one point, I needed to have two companies open at once, and the windows did not title which company was which. I literally had to go into the the menu drop down to figure out which company was which. They looked identical, so it was a real pain.

Caroline
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Reviewed on 23/5/2023

I have used Sage for a long number of years and would have no plans on that changing any time soon. I have always had a great experience anytime I needed helped either with a Customer Service Advisor or through the webinars. I have a sense of security in knowing that no matter what I can get help quickly if required.

Pros

Sage 50cloud Accounting is critical to our Company. We selected Sage because of how easy it was to navigate through the site, the reports we could get from it, having the Customer Service Support and having the Webinars to all fall back on if required. I have availed of quite a few of these and they have been so beneficial to me. Having the telephone support is also advantageous and the security of knowing the customer service consultant will stay on the phone with you until your query is resolved.

Cons

The thing I like least about Sage is probably Report Designer. This I think is partially my own fault as I need to maybe learn more about the intricacies of it. A webinar is probably in my near future for this.

Andrew

Easy to use and cost effective.

Reviewed on 28/12/2022

I have been using Sage 50 for the past 4 year and I am extremely satisfied with the results. The software is user-friendly and easy to navigate, which has made it easy for me to manage and keep track of key accounts, income and expenses (PO’s)One of the things I like most about Sage 50 is the customisable dashboard, which allows me to see all important information I want at a glance. I can also create custom reports and track any metric I wish which has been extremely helpful.The software also integrates seamlessly with other tools and platforms, which makes it easy to share data with other team members.Overall, I highly recommend Sage 50 for anyone in need of a reliable and efficient accounting software. It has made managing the financial side of business so much easier and has given me the peace of mind to focus on growing the business.

Pros

Easy to integrate and set up, updates don’t have an effect on the business and haven’t ever been detrimental to the “Day to day running”. Ability to add users as required is massively beneficial, raising orders, invoices and managing accounts/debtors is so simple.

Cons

The frequency which it can freeze by trying to cancel an action, is very poor. Surly “cancel” should do just that.

Amish
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Sage 50 Accounting

Reviewed on 24/2/2017

Sage 50 Accounting is ideal for the small business that is looking for a comprehensive, customizable core accounting solution that includes: A/P, A/R , well developedBilling, Invoicing, Inventory Management and Financial reporting. Sage 50 Accounting integration with Microsoft Excel, Outlook and PDF are some of its other features. Sage 50 Acwell-developed program that is great for the small business to keep their books organized. Sage 50 Accounting recognizes that small businesses may not need some of the more advanced features that some of its higher versions have. This is why Sage 50 features are pretty basic, providing support for tasks such as project management, costing, invoicing, reporting among others.

Pros

Easy to Use.
Ease of implementation.
The flexibility of financial reporting.
A functional software for small uncomplicated businesses.
Integration with core Microsoft applications like Excel makes a good product for analytics export into a spreadsheet.

Cons

It is very basic. And also does not have many capabilities.
Finding Transactions can be a bit Tricky.
Check printing has its own set of problem.
Need to have a fair level of accounting knowledge to use it correctly.

Eric

Save yourself some frustration and don't waist your money

Reviewed on 14/12/2021

We have uses Peachtree/Sage 50 for 22+ years. The cost of use has grown exponentially and the service is useless. Its imposable to find a telephone number for support. They route all support to their automated chat system that has no comprehension of actual problems. So, after 25/30 minutes of arguing with a computer trying to get a "real person", you may or may not get connected. Then you have to reverify all the same info you just gave to "Pegg" the computer.

Once you finally reach a real person for "support", they will send you a link to a help article that you have already googled and tried. That's all the support you get! Good luck fixing it yourself.

Pros

Hard to say. Its too expensive. Support is useless. Has lots of technical glitches. Backup is unreliable.

Cons

tech support! Free tech support is included with the subscription. But if you can't talk with a real person, what's the point? When you get a real person, they only send you a "help article" that you can google.

Jason
  • Industry: Accounting

Used to be the standard for small business in Canada, but no longer.

Reviewed on 9/6/2017

I have recently discovered Xero and moved my accounting practice to this software. It is so simple with the convenience of being cloud-based. I now recommend Xero to my clients and given its simplicity (yet still very powerful) I can foresee clients taking charge of their own bookkeeping and getting rid of their existing bookkeepers.

Pros

Sage 50 was the accounting program I used to recommend to all my small business clients. Stable program that has most of the simple functions needed for most small businesses. Most used small business accounting software among my clients and almost all bookkeepers in our area use and have experience working solely with Sage 50.

Cons

It's not the most user-friendly program and has a reputation of being difficult for non-bookkeepers and bookkeepers alike to use properly. Sage has been slow to make it more user-friendly and were behind in moving to cloud options. Personal experience is Sage support is very slow to respond to queries.

Shelley

SAGE 50 Rips you off

Reviewed on 7/11/2022

Horrible.

Horrible.

Cons

Customer Service - When you cancel your subscription, they keep charging your credit card for Months! I've been charged for 6 months after I cancelled my subscription, I've called more than once, and they just keep charging. Very unprofessional, fraudulent behaviour in my opinion. Wouldn't recommend to anyone!

Christine

My favourite accounting software by a clear mile - Sage is in its own league

Reviewed on 28/11/2022

I love using sage, i use daily in our business, if ever i need assistance from a Sage expert they are available by phone, online chat, or you can jump in daily webinars that run all day for a quick bit of help/ advice. I would never use a different accounts programme, sage has no limitations.

Pros

Its so user friendly, its so easy to teach people how to use it when they are new to sage. It has an incredible amount of detail in its reporting features - it is very clever, it links with outlook - you can get very inexpensive add ons to aide with credit control. Its so cheap compared to other systems yet so much more efficient. Sage will always be in its own league when compared to others.

Cons

I have no cons to report, I have found zero issues/ cons whilst working with it for over 10 years.

cindy

Sage is awesome and you get the most for your buck

Reviewed on 15/8/2022

It is awesome. The software is very accurate for Accounting professionals

It is awesome. The software is very accurate for Accounting professionals

Pros

Very accurate, reliable ease of use, they are the best yet for small business owners

Cons

The payroll module is a little expensive compared to others

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

ease of use, affordability
MJ
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Decent accounting software for small business

Reviewed on 27/10/2018

It is good software

It is good software

Pros

It is easy to teach a new user how to begin entering transactions. You can set up an assistant to begin entering basic transactions almost immediately. When searching a list (purchases, payments, etc.) of transactions, it is not necessary to have entire name or number. The software will locate the search criteria even if it is just a couple of characters in the middle of a string of text.

Cons

Chart of accounts does not have a true hierarchy so you cannot get totals to roll up for sub accounts. It is often tricky to customize a report accurately. Some reports will omit data because it comes from a specific "journal" and there is no way to make the report include all relevant "journals".

Victoria
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Solid but somewhat limited software

Reviewed on 29/8/2019

not interested in continuing to use this software. Not interested in recommending it to others. I have now switched over to different software.

Pros

Sage50 seems to be created more so for accountants or those with in-depth knowledge of accounting. I have a degree in accounting so I found it extremely easy to use. Most functions are easily located and you can choose a number of them from one screen. The software has very good reports which is an important factor to management. Sage is very similar to another popular accounting software program used by small and medium businesses, so it should be fairly easy for employers to locate employees who have used Sage.

Cons

Tends to be glitchy. If you have an issue, it could be very time costly to get the issue resolved. Customer support and the time frame in which it is provided needs improvement. Another negative aspect is the cost as compared to its biggest competitor. Sage is more expensive.

Blake
Blake
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Good for relatively simple manufacturing businesses

Reviewed on 31/8/2020

Good for the first $5M - $10M of a manufacturing business's life, but not excellent to go beyond that. Do yourself a favor and scale your software up as your business grows.

Pros

Anybody who has used any other accounting software packages will instantly understand Sage 50. It does what it's supposed to -- you can track money in, money out, and all via accrual accouting.

Cons

At a certain point, you outgrow it. If you're a relatively simple manufacturing business with only a couple product lines and a couple manufacturing lines, this works for you. Once you start scaling with multiple locations, cost centers, etc., you'll outgrow it.

Diane
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Sage 50cloud software review. Formally Peachtree

Reviewed on 24/6/2021

Love it!! My preferred software program. Used Peachtree Software since the 90’s and then
went to...

went to this program with no problems.

Pros

This software is very user-friendly. And pretty much walks you through every step. You have numerous chances to go back and edit before you submit. If you ever make a mistake it can always be fixed. This software is very easy to teach temporary workers or new employees.

Cons

I am not real good with general ledger but it is hard to set up but once you do things work very well.

Sean
  • Industry: Farming

Beware the overpriced subscription! Use something else!!

Reviewed on 9/7/2020

Terrible! I haven't felt as ripped off by anything to this level in years. I'm sure it's not legal what they are doing but am not a lawyer and not interested in the hassle. This leave me and probably many people like me to have to continue to be bullied into paying outrageous subscription costs because office staff are "used' to using it

Pros

The accounting is fairly easy to use, accountants like using it

Cons

The subscription model they have gone to is criminal! They literally disabled functionality in the software I paid for years ago and require a subscription if you want to use it.

Horrible experience with customer service

Reviewed on 13/7/2018

Pros

I do not see any pros. It was OK product, but after dealing with their customer service, I am not able to see any pros in Sage products.

Cons

Horrible experience - they charged us for the renewal that we didn't want and even though the renewal date was 7 days ahead from the moment I contacted them, they refused to return our funds. Moreover, they were rude and they kept cutting the call and transferring me to other people who wouldn't even introduce themselves, so I cannot give you any names. I spoke with their customer service, sales, then back to customer service and so on. Finally somebody gave me the number to the refund department (it grew out of nowhere or something after 5 days of my calls) and the person on the phone informed me right away that the refund is not happening (without even asking my account number or order ID), because "that's the policy of Sage". The worst customer service I have even dealt with. They got my money, but I hope they will lose the money from other potential customers who'll read this review. The product won't keep the customers long term, so they try to get as much money as possible, even if it means deliberately not disclosing the policies that are being followed by the company. Shameful practices and poor product.