Jira

4.4 (14,308)
Write a Review!
Project & Issue Tracking Software - See why we're #1!

(14,308)

Gaëtan
Gaëtan

Awesome Projects and Tasks Management tool

Reviewed on 15/6/2024

Overall I'm very happy to use Jira in a daily basis. It brings structure and clarity to our project management processes. It is also well connected with the other software of the company, line Slack or Salesforce.

Pros

'Simplicity' is the first word that comes to my mouth when defining Jira. It is incredibly easy to handle for inexperienced users, at least for the basic features - which is enough for a good part of users.
In addition I particularly like the possibility to install add-ons: there is most probably always an existing add-on to solve your problem, just need to search for it.

Cons

I'm not fully satisfied with the time management feature, in particular the need for a DB extract to get the data.
On Jira-online, the "Transitions" view is slow to display, always annoying since it's a useful option.

Brenda
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Jira software is excellent for scheduling tasks, managing workflow, and more.

Reviewed on 25/6/2024

I find Jira to be a very useful tool. I'm pleased to use it daily. As a result, our management processes are more structured and clear.

Pros

After using other software for some time, I've found Jira to be a far better fit for my day-to-day workflow. Besides its excellent features, it is also user-friendly, customizable, and collaborative.

Cons

JIRA offers a wide range of features. Despite the simplicity of the software, the functions can be intimidating to new users. In some cases, the response time is slow.

Piotr
  • Industry: Packaging & Containers
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Good idea but not so user friendly

Reviewed on 3/6/2024

Ok as a user and action taker - not sure how this works when you are managing the project

Pros

All tasks for all actions takers are clearly presented. You know who is responsible for action and who you need to report to.

Cons

Navigating between your tasks/action is difficult. Jira opens popups when you don't want it instead of opening task in new window. You will end up with each action opened on new tab to have everything in organised way

Faz
Faz
  • Industry: Capital Markets

Brickflow Loves Jira

Reviewed on 26/3/2024

Pros

Jira rocks for Brickflow because it keeps things organized with boards and to-do lists, but also makes working together a breeze. Everyone can see how projects are coming along and stay on the same page, which is pretty sweet.

Cons

Jira can be a double-edged sword. While it excels at organization with boards and to-do lists, setting things up can feel like navigating a labyrinth. Collaboration features are limited, so forget chatting with teammates directly within the app. For non-technical teams, Jira's robust features might be overkill compared to simpler tools.

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Jira

Jira worked better with tech teams and we are a tech company primarily

Edwin

Jira for Agile Methodologies

Reviewed on 20/5/2024

If you have a background managing project in Agile way, migrating to Jira is quite easy and straightforward

Pros

Easy to setup for managing project using Agile methodologies.

Cons

Overhelming features that sometimes need a litte bit of training to understand.

Max

The Agile Project Management

Reviewed on 20/5/2024

Pros

I customized it to perfectly fit my project's needs, which improved our team's workflow. For example, I created custom workflows to track each stage of our software development easily.

Cons

When our team managed a project with hundreds of tasks, Jira sometimes became slow and unresponsive.

Divyanshi
  • Industry: Information Services

Best Tool ever used

Reviewed on 9/6/2024

Best tool easy to use Functionality is very good . All tasks are captured in o place

Pros

Easy to work and handle edit the comments an create a workaround is very easy

Cons

Time taking to open and create a task . Nice functionality

Zarmin
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Fantastic

I have no complains at all as I has a fantastic experience

I have no complains at all as I has a fantastic experience

Pros

That I was able to communicate w/HHAEX regarding tasks that I had to request or follow up

Cons

It was a great communication source when I needed to communicate

Kobey
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Jira is a no-brainer for scheduling tasks, calendar management and so much more.

Reviewed on 31/5/2024

Jira has been a great tool that makes it easy to streamline processes and get things done.

Pros

I liked the ease-of-use of Jira. While Jira can be complex, it is the type of application that offers great complexity, while still appealing to those that have never used this type of program before.

Cons

Not much. I would be grasping at straws if I wrote anything here.

Ritesh
Ritesh

Decent Task and project tacking tool

Reviewed on 15/5/2024

Pros

Jira is one of the most used tool by my current working company. We usually create tickets, log time on the tickets and change status of the tickets. Both the company and the workers are happy with this tool. By far this is the easiest tracking tool that i have ever used in my career. The UI and UX is well designed.

Cons

This does not has much cons but they could improve their UI on the dark mode becuase dark mode feels a bit off. Also, i often forget to stop the log of time but i could later edit it. i hope they come up with an idea to fix this issues.

Perfect Combination of Customizable, Detail-Oriented, and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 20/6/2019

Pros

I love JIRA. I use it professionally and personally. Even though it is primarily a task manager for software development, I have found that it is flexible enough to be used for all sorts of projects. It is amazing how customizable it is; you can configure your project settings to your already existing workflow, whatever it may be. While the initial setup can be time consuming, once you have your settings configured, using the tool is a breeze. It takes seconds to create tasks, start springs, evaluate progress, etc. I find that this makes JIRA standout from other task managers. In most cases, if the software allows for detail-oriented task management the process of inputting and tracking the tasks themselves is cumbersome. Entering and tracking tasks should not have to be another time-consuming task! The JIRA web application is also excellent, making it easy to enter or track tasks on-the-go.

Cons

I think there is a lot of potential with Jira's NextGen projects, however, the software rollout has been uneven and often not well documented. I wish this process would have been better thought out to make transitioning to NextGen projects smoother.

Rachel

Great for time tracking and task management, but some functionality is overly complicated.

Reviewed on 21/9/2020

As a project coordinator, I use Jira daily in a project management aspect, matching our planned work to progress completed by our teams. I maintain an overhead view of in-flight tasks and projects, and compare this data to outside sources we use for resource management, capacity to contract, etc. My most frequently used elements are a custom KanBan board which shows all in-flight, assigned issues for the entire company; as well as Tempo time tracking software and the reports tool.

Pros

I love the KabBan task view, our company uses this every morning for a company-wide standup meeting. We have set up a customized board with cards that display budget/due date/time spent/etc. and it has been invaluable to us during COVID-19, as we are all working from home and need to stay connected.
Jira's time logging via Tempo has some buggy elements, but has been absolutely crucial in maintaining a clear view of task progress and budget maintenance. The time logging tools are incredibly reliable and allow the perfect amount of editing control by both administrators and users.

Cons

It is a big pain not being able to assign more than one user to an issue at a time, especially when making Jira issues for meetings, as the purpose here is to provide an issue to log time against. It has also been difficult for our company to systematize and homogenize project structure, as there was such a large learning curve to Jira project setup, and we have a large number of open projects. The functionality between projects differs greatly, and I think a large part of this is due to complicated project setup and maintenance. While Jira is very developer-minded, and many of our developers like it, it seems a slightly less appropriate fit for our designers/strategists and project management team. I also lack the ability to export some reports I need, for example a clear Estimates versus Actuals report in CSV form.

The Ultimate Business Productivity Suite

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

JIRA has been an excellent tool overall - provides the perfect mix of task, project and issue tracking features that every company needs. I have worked with JIRA in two independent fast-growing companies and both times it has been the main driver of productivity.

Pros

The fully integrated task and project management boards with extensive levels of detail to run Kanban maintenance boards, complex sprints and even visualise recruitment pipelines. In collaboration with Confluence and BitBucket, the Atlassian product suite make the management of a growing software team seem easy.

Cons

JIRA has quite a steep learning curve for less software native users and can appear too complex for the average operational or commercial person. As such, it can be difficult to convince new people to use JIRA without extensive training and hand-holding. This could be improved by guided tours and a simpler interface for "new starts".

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Jira

Asana did not offer the same ease of use when it comes to segmenting projects, running sprints or handling issues. JIRA was much better suited to an agile, fast-growing software company with beautiful Gantt chart and roadmap visualisations that were game-changing for overall project coordination.

Reasons for Switching to Jira

JIRA had more detail and was scalable in comparison to Monday.com or ASANA. The ability to flip between Gantt charts, Kanban boards and sprint backlogs made it ideal for a multi-faceted ream. The detail provided in each task/issue card is fantastic with room for various integrations, such as Confluence pages and Slack notifications, made JIRA a no-brainer.
Victor

All in one

Reviewed on 6/3/2021

I have some larger projects for which Jira is a perfect fit. Once you are set up everything works smoothly. I would recommend this tool for any long-term product development but only if you are willing to put effort into it. It is not a one-click set-and-forget solution but can work wonders for larger projects in the long run. For an average team, I would consider 2 months the break-even point for time spent and time saved.

Pros

If you are looking for a management system that is good enough to cover all your needs then Jira and the Atlassian portfolio is exactly what you are looking for. Every aspect of your workflow is infinitely customizable and perfectly integrated with their entire suite of software development tools. Once your setup is complete everything is easy and automatic for your team. The potential for boosted productivity is huge.

Cons

All the updates can be overwhelming. Great updates can provide users with additional features without affecting present ones but some updates are breaking and requiring you to find the relocated setting in order to configure what you want. That is adding to the already high cost of setting up a new project. If you have someone dedicated to administration then the rest of the team will have a great experience. This is a very powerful tool and that means it will take time to learn and properly manage it.

Basecamp , monday.com , Wrike and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Jira

We simply outgrew Trello. If you require an easy and quick-to-set-up solution that will get you started within the hour then Trello is for you. Jira is the natural next step with easy migration and a similar workflow. It takes more time to set up so the question is whether you need the additional features. The only thing I am missing from Trello so far is the smooth keyboard shortcuts.

Reasons for Switching to Jira

I was already invested in other Atlassian projects like Trello and Bitbucket. Better integration with Bitbucket was the deciding factor. The overall more developer-focused image and development tools available also contributed to the decision.
Darian
  • Industry: Insurance

Review for Jira as a developer

Reviewed on 14/7/2021

We moved our IT department to start using Jira for the teams that work in development. We have not yet moved our Helpdesk or "system uptime" teams over since we are still looking at what product works best. So with the smaller team, I believe it has helped in keeping our tickets in order. It is simple to see what is currently being worked on in each project. We do not have the highest plan so we do not have all features, but I think our current feature set is large with room to evolve.

Pros

Jira is excellent at keeping track of our issues and linking between them on a kanban board. It was our introduction to a Kanban system of tickets. There are also many features we see ourselves using that we are on the verge of delving into, allowing us to focus on the tickets now but expand in the near future.

I like that tickets are easily linked to each other. Our previous system made it difficult to know which tickets were related, while Jira has several options for relating tickets (related to, duplicates, blocked / blocks/ etc)

Cons

I think the price can get high depending on how big your team is. We were just over the free limit which becomes a large cost, especially once you include subscriptions to confluence etc.

I think the load times and UI can get buggy at times, there are multiple times a day I have to click through menus several times for it to register. This is by far the most frustrating thing, especially when you have many tickets on a page.

One issue we had was that our current ticket system allows us to CC users onto tickets so they (+ anyone else we add) can get an update. This was not possible through regular Jira, however something similar could be done with effort on the Jira Service Management side.

Lawrence
  • Industry: Computer Games

Jira is great PM tool for medium to large game development projects

Reviewed on 8/2/2022

Pros

Overall, I really like the flexibility that Jira provides. The one feature that I most appreciate when I use another PM tool is built-in support for Fix Versions. Being able to assign a fix version for a sprint and for each build, makes it easy to see all the tasks and bugs that are in a given full release or an individual build.

Cons

A lot of folks, especially artists, have a general disdain for the Jira UX. It is not as ergonomic, clean, and tactile as Trello or Basecamp. I would love it if there were a way for Boards in Jira to be as simple and powerful as boards in Trello.

Trello , Basecamp and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Jira

Trello did not have the reporting and searching capabilities that we needed for bug workflows.

Reasons for Switching to Jira

Jira was simply more powerful when it came to critical QA search and reporting needs. We still use both Trello and Asana for other sub-teams but I would like to standardize on Jira over time.
Ariel

Personal review for Jira Software

Reviewed on 3/4/2022

I would prompt program item proprietors ought to utilize this extraordinary item for overseeing their ventures which can allow you more understanding into the advance of your venture. No question this stage is secure as well which bolsters different security offices - getting to git information with private get to keys, SSH certificates and username/password. You ought to too see to induce a trial or free account to play around with the apparatus and at that point on full fulfillment as it were it would be ideal if you go for a permit. I wagered once anybody employments this stage venture administration continuously choice will be Jira.

Pros

I adore the format, checking history. Being able to channel the assignments. And we are ready to see each comment's points of interest just like the correct date. Moreover it is truly simple drag a report Being able to open the task in a modern tab is additionally so precious. Attaching cards to each other moreover makes things simpler.

Cons

Some of the time due to the stack of errands we are taking care of it may allow us difficult time stacking a entirety page. When you attempt to look something within the look bar, it may evacuate some of the letters you're writing down may cause typo otherwise you have to be compose down the precise thing to find the right issue.

Reasons for Switching to Jira

Jira Software meets the high-end needs of software teams with the power and flexibility an agile team needs to deliver value to customers faster.
Mattia
Mattia
  • Industry: Online Media

Jira, the eldest son of the Atlassian family

Reviewed on 7/6/2022

Very positive experience and without any bugs. this has always favored teamwork which has benefited from a time consuming point of view.

Pros

a complete and very user-friendly workflow management tool that allows you to optimize work times with a perfect management of all tasks, collaborators, project delivery times and more generally "who does what" on each single activity. Thanks to the easy connection with Trello it is possible to have a complete and easily accessible platform also from mobile for the management of team work. once discovered you will not be able to do without it because it has a free version available complete with all the features you need to manage even complex projects.

Cons

I have been using this software for several years and I have never encountered a problem either at a technical level or at the interface with the different businesses that I have managed. Implementations are always welcome so I look forward to testing some new features that they will release in the future for now everything works great.

Fullstory and Trello

Reasons for Switching to Jira

It is a complete and easy to use tool in a team, especially with creatives and developers. Sometimes I integrate it with the use of other software that may already be used in agencies or private individuals.
Enrique
Enrique

There are many programs to manage projects and teams, but they are not Jira

Reviewed on 27/10/2022

As I already mentioned in the example of use in the Pros section, from the simplest project (a shopping list), to the most complex, the integration of several work teams from different areas and several very diverse projects, You need software that makes work, communication and organization easier.Jira offers us that, simplifying the management, planning and management of issues, without Jira, order becomes chaos.

Pros

I will give an example of how I used it on one occasion and the advantages of having had this software.I was hired by a digital marketing company to improve proprietary applications, internal APIs, creation and migration of landing pages made in WP for our clients, migration of PHP applications to Python, server management, diversity of containers... The DevOps who was doing all that work left the company.An external audit was hired that provided workers spread all over the world, Spain, India, Latam...So we find ourselves with a lot of work, from very different areas, work environments and projects of all kinds and just one person to manage everything.With Jira we all worked under the same environment to organize tasks, but above all incidents and bugs, and with the need to manage the priorities of each new element that entered our work boards.At a glance, I could assign tasks, review code, refactor or modify it, and upload it to the test servers. Review the tickets, with screenshots of the errors or the new results that should be obtained. Keep in touch with everyone from one place and also receive all feedback in Jira.It was months of hard work, without Jira it would have been impossible to manage it.

Cons

Despite having Jira with everything necessary for software development, sometimes it becomes more complex and less visual than if we accompany it with some extras, also from Atlassian. So it is easier for some boards or planning to use Trello, GitHub or Bitbucket for continuous integration, Sourcetree to make the different branches and versions more visual, Composer for team collaboration...

Reasons for Choosing Jira

It is expensive to maintain and you never get the ease of use and tools of software of this quality.

Reasons for Switching to Jira

It is more complete for incident management, priorities integrates better with other solutions
Marianela
Marianela
  • Industry: Chemicals

Jira, a complete platform that increases productivity and successful execution of projects.

Reviewed on 10/3/2023

With JIRA, we can easily assign the priority to each task, to have an objective way that allows us to determine in which tasks we should allocate the greatest effort of our workers and which ones can be rescheduled.Another important aspect is precisely the recording of the progress of the activities, since in JIRA we can do it simply by belonging to the team members who have this role, and in this way, not only the project manager is responsible for doing it , but now it is treated as a collaborative and incremental work, lightening the workloads, execution, and the rest of the activities.

Pros

JIRA is a project management platform that definitely increases visibility and promotes collaboration, with multidisciplinary and even multicultural work teams. Jira organizes the planning and execution of almost any type of project extremely quickly, from large or large, where multiple tasks are supervised, and with a high degree of complexity, to flexible implementations that require simple and collaborative work.In this way, with JIRA we manage the entire execution cycle and even subsequent phases associated with evolutionary maintenance, roadmap, and support.

Cons

Jira is really intuitive, and its functionalities allow the successful execution of large or small projects, however, for the result to be impeccable, we must prepare all the team members and train them properly, and in this way we can expect a process without complications, on the other hand, the licensing may not be as flexible as other usable tools currently on the market but it remains in the average range.

Janosch
Janosch

Flexible, powerful, simple to use and grows as you go

Reviewed on 24/11/2018

Jira surprised me as coming across simple yet being incredibly powerful and versatile. It is a full blown Ticket and workflow management tool and it might be too much for small or personal projects. However, not being required to change the ticket system when the company or the team scales or are faced with types of tasks you did not expect is simply fantastic. Keeping software simple, easy to use yet increase its versatility and power is a virtue and Jira is build upon this virtue with care and vision

Pros

Jira is clean and it is simple yet powerful. You can use it for your basic ticket workflows from the get go and expand as you grow or the tasks you wisch to cover branch out. It is easy to customize the ticket views to contain the information you want to use and avoid cluttering. The Workflow editor is one of the most powerful I came across in all my professional career. It might not seem so much of an importance but believe me, when your business grows unexpected necessities will arise and you will suddenly be required to track tasks you never though about. Jira will have you covered and allow you to add different task types which traverse task-type specific phases and have corresponding stati. Also you have all the world of notification and responsibility tracking ping-pong covered as you go. Two further things are woth mentioning: First the Atlassian World (the Wiki Confluence and build system Bamboo and many other products) integrate flawlessly and it actually really makes using them fun. Jira is one of the tools, that make you smile when you are required to use it no matter the task to track, its jus smooth, convenient and above and beyond provides a rich ecosystem for free and commercial plugins even for rather exotic use cases.
Also, the license Model behind it scales fantastically. When we introduced it we were a small company with 8 people (we are now going strong towards the 200) and it was critical to keep cost for our tools reasonable. Jira got us covered.

Cons

When we scaled, the License was not as flexible in higher user tiers as it was in the lower ones. Also once upon a time an update went wrong and we had to invest a bucketload of time and brain power to get everything back up to speed. We did run jira on premise and hat some custom plugins so there might be some of the tripwires: In case you use plugins they must be available in the version you wish to upgrade to and this might require some research prior to updates. Also, you can make a science out of the workflow and notification configuration. In case it is not documented well when you do it it might get you into trouble.

Senthilkumar
Senthilkumar

Effective Agile business project board

Reviewed on 17/1/2020

We used JIRA for agile development and testing projects for tracking status. Multiple scrum and agile masters used JIRA, resulted effective outcomes, tracking in a easy way and watch out without a delivery miss. Creating sub tasks within task lead to deep level of monitoring work items, given confident to manage the task items. We have used user stories, back logs, mini sprints, daily hour stand up calls which given target throughput accurately. Used JIRA in the form of test cases, defects, change request types, requirement analysis - all forms of software test and development life cycle along with multiple development tools like dotnet, GitHub, etc.,

Pros

Couple of features below that I really admired the most-Mobile version of Jira board, colorful status tracking with accurate percentage, effective customized workflow modal, quick peek view of tasks in dashboard, search option for any filter, quick catch for getting user by using '@', easy query handling and filters, easier mode of cloning tasks, linking items and referencing, multiple built in report types like bar chart, pie charts, etc., Kanban & Agile flexi boards, vast of plugin support like git-hub, git bucket, zendesk, etc., From the admin point - easy configuration of development tools dotnet, configuring mailing options, deep level view of audit logs, watch list for issues.Couple of features below that I really admired the most-Mobile version of Jira board, colorful status tracking with accurate percentage, effective customized workflow modal, quick peek view of tasks in dashboard, search option for any filter, quick catch for getting user by using '@', easy query handling and filters, easier mode of cloning tasks, linking items and referencing, multiple built in report types like bar chart, pie charts, etc., Kanban & Agile flexi boards, vast of plugin support like git-hub, git bucket, zendesk, etc., From the admin point - easy configuration of development tools dotnet, configuring mailing options, deep level view of audit logs, watch list for issues.

Cons

Sometimes I feel, the JIRA GUI is clumsy to have many things in dashboard, other than that I do not see any specific negative factors to hate JIRA, and it depends on how we use the features for projects.

Samuel
Samuel

JIRA is a functional agile project management application

Reviewed on 27/8/2022

Jira is an all-around effective and agile project management application for handling several teams and tasks. Jira is the best option for Kanban, Hybrid, and Scrum projects that require good project management. Jira users could improve their comprehension through training and supported services. Jira may be used to manage a project successfully.

Pros

Jira is a fantastic tool for managing projects. It is the finest choice for managing agile projects and bug tracking. Jira makes it possible to utilize several teams at once, creating a lot of connections. Teams from the product development, product design, and product strategy divisions may collaborate to better projects. Using the filtering and searching tools, each team may keep track of its own deliverables, milestones, and tasks.

If you are leveraging the Agile Scrum framework, implementing custom views will help to assist your daily stand-up sessions. You might create your own distinctive points of view to talk just on the important components of the assignments. This function is efficient and saves time for a daily ten-minute stand-up. Other new features that make Jira a must-buy include alerts for due dates, assignment distribution, labelling, assigning task priority levels, and generating epic connections that display the user narrative and project progress.

Jira has Kanban boards where you may choose between showing and hiding features from other team members. Due to its capacity to integrate with many frameworks and maintain task and deliverable backlogs, Jira offers a great level of flexibility. Jira has excellent organization in its sprint planning, sprint release, and history structure. Any type of project management may use it. Customer assistance is offered by Jira, which is quite helpful.

Cons

My own opinion is that it's a fantastic tool; one of the dew drawback is the cost per user, which initially looks good but increases overtime.

Another drawback I've seen when using Jira is that there isn't an option to have audible notifications. When a new ticket is created, Jira, for instance, doesn't make a sound. So, if a user leaves the system, they risk missing a vital ticket.

Vijayakanth
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Its really a good tool for managing the internal approvals with ease. It is user friendly tool.

Reviewed on 8/6/2018

We are able to manage our internal approvals effectively. It is really helping to track the status and for expediting the approvals. It works even we are not connected to office network. You can simply connect if there is internet connection available. It helps us to complete cross border approvals easily and reduced manual work and hard copy print outs. It also reduces time for internal approvals and helps to manage even huge volume of internal approvals by the stakeholders. The resources need not run from one desk to the other desk.

Pros

This tool works on a hosted model and can be accessed from anywhere in the world by using internet connection. The web version and even the mobile version (which i guess has been recently launched) is good and can be accessed through click of a button while it is assigned to you. It is has various options like assigning to different users, obtaining their comments, attaching supporting documents, printing the ticket, reports and dashboards which can be customised by the users, option to download, link the ticket with other tickets, etc., The tool has the option to create various workflows as per the requirements of the users. It has the option to alert the users with email alerts and also reminder mails. There is option to close the ticket, clone the ticket, revoke the ticket. The users can customize the reports and dashboards as per their requirement and download the ticket in various formats from the JIRA tool.

Cons

The reports and dashboards does not provide for reports in a graphical way. The tickets can not be simultaneously assigned two or more users. The tickets can only be closed by the creator which is a set back if the creator does not close the ticket once its gets over. The note which is created allows only text inputs. It does not allow for creation of table or column. Turn around time for closure (at each specific user level) of the ticket can not be generated from the reports automatically. This is a big drawback. Also, it takes so much time for loading the contents and if the internet is slow then it does not get loaded at all.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Great all-around tool for Agile project management and software development!

Reviewed on 14/9/2020

My overall experience with Jira has been great so far. There is a lot more to learn and Jira provides that opportunity to create the best experience for me and my colleagues. They do keep introducing new features and facilitate an active community to gather feedback and actually act on it. Jira has definitely added a lot of value in how we do project management and software development at my company. It has his flaws but it still works out to be the best tool for us to accomplish the purpose at hand this far. I'm sure it will only get better from me and we can get the utmost value from Jira in the long run.

Pros

First of all, this product offered a free trial to experience the features first-hand without any strings attached. It was great to have the ability to go and play in a sandbox environment and carefully evaluate what it can and cannot do for me and how it can add value to my organization. Set up and gaining access was easy and quick. The different permissioning levels make sense to stay organized and maintain accurate information. Some of the features I liked the most was having a great UI for exploring and learning without much training. I was personally tasked with setting up a couple of projects and the respective boards for my teams and I was able to do that in a pretty self-serve way. The design is minimalistic and doesn't feel overwhelming, it is clean and navigable. Easily creating backlogs, sprints and administering those are also my favorite features because it makes it so easy to implement an Agile project management and software development culture. The categories of initiatives, epics, stories, tasks etc. align very well with the Agile methodologies in following the same hierarchy. I love being able to get a quick summary view of the tasks before diving deep into the details. Assigning owners, labeling, story points to track work effort needed, description fields, attachments, comments and seamless integrations with other products make it all the more user-friendly. Kanban Board views in Active Sprints tabs provides a clearly easy to understand view of progress.

Cons

Managing boards within each project is the first that comes to mind. Jira does not offer a standard naming convention for the projects and boards and this can cause some major confusion. I have hard coding this manually and training people to do the same to ensure consistency. If you attached Lucidchart diagrams or embed other important document within tasks or epics, they don't update in real-time or even with refresh which is frustrating. This runs the risk of people getting outdated information which can misinform their actions. The search functionality within Jira is also something that I like the least. It does not return optimal results or even close to optimal results. Sometimes it does not search for metadata and you have to remember the actual word you're searching for to track down a task. It returns an overwhelming amount of results and the filtering or sorting options available are confusing and hard to understand. Another limitation is that even though one project can have multiple boards within, it can only have the one same backlog of items which does not make sense to me. There also cannot be multiple sprints running across different boards and all of this makes me wonder what the actual difference between projects and boards are. Jira also lacks some automation in moving tasks to different statuses upon completion. The workflows are suboptimal and don't work as intended most times. The reporting capabilities within Jira are also quite weak in my opinion.