SurePayroll Reviews

4.1/5
4.2/5
4.0/5

• Industry: Insurance

Easy to use and great value

Reviewed on 13/3/2020

Pros

easy to use for the administrator and even the set up is very simple to complete. online clock integrations makes it easier to use.

Cons

none. overall it works great and no issues

ADP TotalSource

Response from Paychex

Thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review.

Carol
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

SureParyroll

Reviewed on 19/1/2024

Not extremely user friendly for someone who is not always in front of the computer.

Pros

Customer Services was good however the product interface was not easy for me to utilize and did not offer alternatives that I could use for payment of my contracted employees as their company was invoice only.

Cons

Not easy to use on the go (i.e. on mobile devices or tablet).

Reasons for Switching to SurePayroll

Sales person was polite and answered all of my questions. Also the specials (6 months free and referral bonus).
Jeffrey

Excellent Service

Reviewed on 4/1/2024

Pros

Ease of use, I can approve payroll quickly and efficiently.

Cons

I don't have any cons with the site. I'm happy with it overall

Jay

Find another Company. Service is terrible.

Reviewed on 5/1/2024

It's akin to jumping in a tub of water that is just about boiling. I believe they will be out of business if they don't change customer service, which does not exist.

Pros

Nothing recently, 9 years ago they were great, now it is a horrible service.

Cons

Everything, but mostly the lack of the ability to talk to a human; not, a BOT. No one cares.

Joseph
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Simple and easy to use. Customer service getting set up was excellent.

Reviewed on 4/1/2024

I'm extremely happy with my choice for payroll. The cost was about the lowest I saw for our organization but it provides options and features that much more expensive software didn't have.

Pros

[sensitive content hidden] was extremely helpful in getting everything set up for my client. He has continued to keep in touch to make sure I am getting everything that I need. Super customer service!
The software is easy to use and allows quite a bit of flexibility. There are tons of features that I don't even use but it could handle much larger and complex organizations that what I am working with.

Cons

The location of some of the reporting on the webpage took a little bit to figure out and I still have to go searching a bit. Using the software to get payroll in was easy and straightforward. The reports afterwards not so straightforward.

Soyeon

Very useful solution

Reviewed on 17/1/2024

Overall, the self-serving site and the functions and intuitive and easy to use

Overall, the self-serving site and the functions and intuitive and easy to use

Pros

When I was not sure which option was right for me the customer support was super helpful in making decisions

Cons

I hope to have chat-based support system rather than call

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to SurePayroll

Superpayroll better served my needs in terms of simplicity and customer support
Holly
Holly

Good and Bad

Reviewed on 26/10/2017

Pros

Lets employees know that they received their monies and they can access their information themselves. Processes the quarterly taxes quickly and so far correctly. Great and competitive pricing.

Cons

Operates on percentages so if a employee works in more than one department, you have to use a percent and the payroll taxes are not the exact amount for the general ledger. Customer service is sometimes slow to respond. Does not respond on new state changes very quick. I had to ask 3 times and I had to get the new information changes for them. I have to enter the department worked in each week. The software does not remember from previous week.

Dwight

Good and simple for small businesses

Reviewed on 23/1/2024

Seamless to set up and easy to use. My implementations was quick and seamless.

Seamless to set up and easy to use. My implementations was quick and seamless.

Pros

Sure payroll is easy to use and simple interface.

Cons

Not sure it will scale as I grow. If I had a large number of employees, I will need to automate timecard entry, and I'm not sure how that looks in Sure Payroll.

Todd
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Great payroll solution for a solo private practice

Reviewed on 4/1/2024

Pros

This is just easy to use and easy to configure. It is also very affordable. I appreciate never having to worry about payroll.

Cons

I wish I could get someone on the phone faster when I have a question I can't figure out how to answer on my own. These times are rare, but having better customer support would be awesome.

Robert

Simple Payroll

Reviewed on 16/1/2024

its ok. It's setup and functioning so I'm using it for now. I've thought about switching just because of how much they attempt to contact me about products or asking for referrals.

Pros

easy to setup automatic recurring payroll

Cons

way too much marketing to current clients. Ask for referrals way too much.

Angela

Not Fancy but very dependable

Reviewed on 22/11/2020

Surepayroll has amazing customer support. You don't have a dedicated specialist, but no matter who you get it's great.
In over 5 years I have used Surepayroll I have never had an issue with my federal or state filings. Payroll is easy to run and check for errors. After previous experience with Quickbooks and recently with Paycor, Surepayroll is definitely the superior product as far as running payrolls and staying compliant with the IRS goes.

Intuitive interface
Dependability
Customer service

Cons

No reminders for reviews
Birthday reminders are spotty
No self onboarding

Paychex Flex and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing SurePayroll

QBO was not reliable making tax filings or payments

Quickbooks Online

It was cheaper

Response from Paychex

Angela, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Cherie
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Definitely recommend SurePayroll

Reviewed on 23/3/2020

Pros

We chose SurePayroll because we opened a second location in another state and the service we were using at that time could not handle multiple states. SurePayroll is easy to use, efficient, handles employees in multiple states, has great customer service, and is cost effective. It was also easy to set up when changing from another company. On those few occasions I had a question, SurePayroll was easy to contact and quickly resolved my questions. I've used both telephone support and live chat, and both were great. I would definitely recommend SurePayroll!

Cons

No cons. We've been using the software for almost 2 years, and have been very happy with both the software and the customer service.

Response from Paychex

Cherie, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you love your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Tina
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Value

Reviewed on 27/3/2020

Overall great product. I highly reccoend this platform.

Overall great product. I highly reccoend this platform.

Pros

Great value for the cost. Excellent customer service.

Cons

Reports can not be customized and there are limited standard reports.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing SurePayroll

Cost

Reasons for Switching to SurePayroll

I need Customer Service to answer technical payroll questions. Sure Payroll has awesome customer service; quick response time with knowledgeable team. Calling QuickBooks would take hours.

Response from Paychex

Tina, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review.

LaVergne
  • Industry: Accounting

You wanted feedback so here it is

Reviewed on 18/3/2020

Overall, I like SurePayroll but I'm not as big a fan as I once was and not sure the people that do the setup are as knowledgeable as other PR sales staff are.

Pros

For a small business without many benefits to manage, it is a good choice and a cost effective one.

Cons

All things are not intuitive or easily explained. I've worked with Paychex (your mothership) and ADP for many years, the latter being my least favorite, Paychex being the best. But some of your changes are clunky and if you aren't used to the software you may go down the wrong road only to have all the info deleted. Example, you enter payroll and then realize you need to change something (client sends last minute email with a change) and instead of being able to 'save' and make those changes, which in my mind should be able to just update in the payroll info, you lose all your input. That doesn't make sense to me.

I think users would have more success if the sales person OR a training person, for new users, had a short session that would go through some of these processes. ALSO, not all customer service people are made the same. For the most part, the people I have talked to have been helpful, but it's been a 50/50 experience. One woman I wanted to hang up on her because she did not have a good attitude.

The other problem I had was when a new client was set up. An employee was missed even though the 941's & DE9C's were forwarded - my client was charged for adding that missing employee and when I asked on several occasions, HOW DID YOU BALANCE (which you couldn't have since you would use the 4 qtrs of reports) I never got an answer. I asked that the charge for corrections be shared and the fee was cut in half. In my mind this was an error on your side.

Response from Paychex

LaVergne, thanks for sharing your feedback. We're sorry your experience with SurePayroll didn't meet your expectations. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] with any further comments, concerns or suggestions you wish to share. We would love to make things right if you give us a chance.

Sean

Surepayroll DEVASTATED my business. DO NOT USE if you care about compliance

Reviewed on 5/2/2021

We are trying to navigate the remote working situation as many business are I imagine. It is a grey area which state to tax employees in as the company is based in California and some of our workers decided to reside in other states. One employee decided to stay in New York, so we decided to amend his returns to reflect his NYC residence, seemed like the right thing to do. Surepayroll charged a large fee for this amendment. I then received a $27,000 fine from New York for not having workers comp insurance. Now the NY website says teachers don't need workers comp, which makes sense as our tutors teach on their computer in the bedroom and have no chance of injury. However as an out of state business it turns out they require it for all employees. Surepayroll gave NO guidance on compliance whatsoever. Once I received the fine they did NOTHING to help me resolve it, other than send an insurance salesperson my way. All decent payroll firms help with compliance, switch to Gusto they force you to be in compliance before you set up an account. This fine is forcing us to close our doors in New York. The entire reason I pay a payroll service is to help navigate situations like this. Using this service is probably the worst business decision I've ever made. I now owe $27,000 to NY which I absolutely don't have and don't expect to have anytime soon. This has been devastating. Surepayroll made it clear that they could care less about resolving the issue.

Pros

Somewhat easy to use, though the website is really cheap looking.

Cons

They do not assist with state compliance at all.

Response from Paychex

Sean, we are sorry that your experience with SurePayroll didn't quite meet your expectations. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please contact us at [email protected] or call our support team at 877-956-7873 so we can gather some additional information. We'll work with you to resolve any issues as quickly as possible.

Charlotte
  • Industry: Accounting

It's all about your customer service rep...

Reviewed on 24/5/2023

My experience, in the beginning, was terrible. Our reps would not answer my emails or phone calls, and I just couldn't get any help or answers. After having a conversation with someone in charge, all of that changed. We were assigned new reps and they were just amazing. It's all about connecting with the right people in a company and cultivating that relationship with them.

Pros

The set up process is easier than some because there is a dedicated person who helps you set up a company in SurePayroll. I like that it's easy to review before running payroll in order to spot any errors.

Cons

What I like least is the ongoing technical issues we've experienced as an accounting firm. At least 50% of our clients were unable to sign in to their own account, so we had to go in for them anytime a change or report was needed.

Patriot Payroll, ADP Workforce Now and Paychex Flex

Cost and ease of use.
Andrea

Makes Payroll stress free and so easy!

Reviewed on 18/3/2020

Overall very happy, easy to run payroll and keep going with business. I have only utilized the payroll features with SurePayroll, none of the extra benefits.

Pros

This is easy to use whether it is online or in the app. It takes me minutes to run payroll at most! User friendly, great support if I have questions, and easy for my employees to use.

Cons

The auto populated dates are some how out of sync, and although it is very easy for me to go in and change the dates, they are never correct right from the start. I use this for my nanny and same thing happened there and I had to call and it was a little bit of a run around until I got someone to help me "reset" them so they were right but I have no idea all the steps they had me do to reset them so I have to call for my business to figure this out, I just haven't done it. I am sure it is my user error some how but that has been the only minor complaint.

Response from Paychex

Andrea, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Peter

Great customer support!

Reviewed on 18/3/2020

Overall I would say that I am very satisfied with my experience with the service SurePayroll provides. The monthly fee is a little high for a very small business. I would suggest they drop the rates a little for business with under 3-5 employees.

Pros

We utilize SurePayroll to help with all the technical aspects of making sure our business is up to date with all the various payroll taxes associated with our state and federal requirements. Being a first time small business owner I was concerned if I was meeting all the various tax payment requirements and SurePayroll now allows me to focus on running the business day to day without being worried if I've missed any of the various payments required with running payroll. I love the peace of mind knowing that SurePayroll has me covered if anything does get overlooked, too.

Cons

The fact that I need to validate my computer ever single time I access the website even though I check the box that states: "remember this device" when I sign-in to the website.

Response from Paychex

Peter, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Raymundo

Overall Great Payroll system

Reviewed on 2/4/2023

Overall Surepay provided all the necessary platforms and features that will suffice for smaller companies.

Pros

I enjoyed the dedicated portal for all accounts. It also allowed us to view all previous stubs and download w2 forms as needed from mobile.

Cons

Not much I didn't like about Surepayroll.Perhaps sometimes the logging-in procedure was a bit hard due to the security authentication feature.

Stephen

Used for Nanny

Reviewed on 18/3/2020

Their customer service is great. Whenever I have had a problem (whether it be a self inflicted one or a error on their end), the staff has been great and very helpful!

Pros

The phone application for processing payroll is very easy to use and is a great tool for people on the go.

Cons

The website is difficult to use as it has a lot more uses and tools than I probably need for the limited payroll I have to perform.

Gusto, Paychex Flex and PayPal Zettle

Response from Paychex

Stephen, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Laura
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Dependable Payroll Service

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

We have used Sure Payroll for over three years and as a whole we have been very happy with them. For hourly employees and basic salaried employees they are awesome. Unique issues such as clergy is not as smooth.

Pros

The entry for payroll is easy to use. The default payroll that they have recently instituted makes things extremely easy. Customer service is very efficient and they answer quickly. If they promise to call back about an issue they always follow up and make sure everything is taken care of.

Cons

As a church we have a number of clergy with unique payroll needs and at times it has been difficult to make the needs of the clergy work with the system. I wish the system was a little more flexible. Also, when we first selected this company we selected them because the advertised that they specialize in clergy payroll and I would say I have educated them more than they have helped me.

Laura
  • Industry: Fine Art

Highly Recommend Sure Payroll

Reviewed on 25/2/2020

Had a great experience. If all I needed was to run payroll I would still be there.

Pros

We used Surepayroll for many years and only left recently in an effort to centralize our HR processes. I actually miss their extremely competent customer service people. If you are looking for payroll services, look no further.

Cons

One of the things that was annoying was not being able to run an off cycle payroll without spending a fortune. We have multiple locations and cutting a check for an advance or missed payroll is a huge hassle and pain. I would prefer a monthly fee and to be able to use the platform as needed.

Response from Paychex

Laura, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Shannon
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

SurePayroll

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

This was an overall good product for our small payroll needs. Once we grew larger, we required a product that was more robust and went with a different vendor.

Pros

The layout was pretty intuitive and I found navigation easy. For a small business, this is a very workable and flexible solution for self-management of one's payroll.

Cons

There were a few occasions where reports were not made properly to the tax entities and we received notices from those entities. This necessitated calls and emails to customer service to have it resolved.

Saif
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Poor customer service

Reviewed on 14/3/2020

They are reliable I don’t like their customer service but their price is reasonable. They raised their price without telling me and I will switch once I have the chance due to that and their customer service response to my queries.

Pros

It works and I can set up different rates easily.

Cons

It’s not the easiest to use and the customer service is poor

Response from Paychex

Saif, we are sorry that your experience with SurePayroll didn't quite meet your expectations. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please contact us at [email protected] or call our support team at 877-956-7873 so we can gather some additional information. We'll work with you to resolve any issues as quickly as possible.

Will

Customer service is terrible

Reviewed on 17/1/2020

Evidently, I encountered my problems during their "busy" season. When I asked when that was, I was told October, November, December, January.

I am a small business. Exactly who their platform is targeting. I will admit, I am new at payroll, and I messed up. I own that. My problem is that it is assumed that you know how to set everything up. Going forward, when I set up my payroll service with someone else, I will know what to avoid. When I called to get help, my hold times were terrible. I called multiple times trying to get stuff figured out, and it was the same every time. I literally can't afford to sit on hold for someone to tell me that I am going to have wait for up to 24 hours to be called back to fix my problem. I am an outside contractor. My office is at best my pickup truck. Usually the job stops or extremely slows down when I am not there. I can't do payroll service stuff while I am on a jobsite. So I waited in my home office as long as I could, and then I got my wife to wait for me. They never called me back. I ended up calling back a few days later, and was told that I needed to fill out a different document before we could go forward. No body ever attempted to reach me. I am still waiting to see how much they are going to bill me for the corrections. Judging by what they have told me, their ridiculous fee schedule is about to hit me next. I would have been better off paying another service a little more to be taken better care of.

Pros

I think once it is setup correctly, it probably functions well. It was really inexpensive for what it does. I have one employee plus me, and it seemed like an affordable option for payroll services.

Cons

Terrible customer service. Really tough to get in touch with customer care. I sat on hold forever every time I called trying to fix my mistake when I first setup my information.