SurePayroll

4.1/5
4.2/5
4.0/5

Pete P.

SurePayroll - accurate, timely, easy to use

Reviewed on 7/11/2018

Pros

Love that we are able to provide every employee with their own log in access to view history, print copies of checks and W-2's. Frees up a lot of time by allowing them to perform this critical task.

Cons

Nothing negative too report. We have not experienced any problems with accuracy of data, and their security is excellent.

Joan C.
  • Used for 1+ year

Good priced payroll service

Reviewed on 4/2/2021

Overall it has been excellent. The set up was easy, using it is simple, they notify me and the employee when paid, the customer service is helpful and easy to reach.

Pros

Easy to use, online interface, really good support. Much less costly than prior service. They made switching from prior service quite easy. They can do pay by pay worker’s compensation.

Cons

I don’t always run my payroll on the same schedule and am always resetting things. Would like more ability to customize the reports.

Gusto and Patriot Payroll

Reasons for Choosing SurePayroll

Cost too much for such a small payroll. I liked the software and the company but could not justify the cost. They rolled back the increase for me once, but would not do it again. They made no effort to try to retain me when I called about closing my account. More annoying was that they then called me and emailed me over and over months later to try to get me back.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to SurePayroll

Owned by Paychex which I had used before, good pricing, had all features I needed.

Response from SurePayroll

Joan, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you love your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Mark N.
  • Industry: Legal Services

SurePayroll is Not Bad

Reviewed on 14/6/2022

It was okay but I did not stay with them for long.

Pros

I liked that it was easy to use. The price was nice, too. They are part of PayChex which is a much bigger company and cost a lot more to use.

Cons

You have to pay for things that I think should be included. A clock in and out is extra. Reports are extra, etc.

Scott P.
  • Industry: Information Services

Support Delays and Inaccuracies

Reviewed on 21/6/2022

Terrible. Support hold times are 90 minutes plus and I have had to talk to about 7 different people to try and get things done. We had a complete mess with transitioning of people from one company to another and they took months to sort it out. My overall experience has been very bad and the bounce from person to person within their team AND THEIR LACK OF INTERNAL COMMUNICATION is alarming. I would switch but I cannot chance them screwing up again and creating tax issues for my employees. Absolutely TERRIBLE experience every time I try and deal with them.

Pros

Easy to run once it is set up, it is quick to process a payroll.

Cons

The transition from our previous company to a new one was a disaster and SurePayroll was the one that assisted with it.

Peipei Y.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Excellent payroll service

Reviewed on 22/3/2022

Pros

This is an extremely easy software to use for managing payroll. It is very user friendly, runs detailed reports and even has an app! My employees love the app!

Cons

Everything is great. I highly recommend this.

Wendy C.

Best payroll service at an affordable price

Reviewed on 13/3/2020

We have a very small dental office (5 employees) and I run the whole business aspect, so I needed a simple, easy to use solution for payroll. We had used ADP and Paychex for years and it worked. But when I moved to Surepayroll just to save money I didn't realize how easy payroll really could be. I love their online interface. Doing payroll takes me no time at all. The W2 reporting has been excellent as well.

Pros

It is very user friendly. I seldom if ever need any technical assistance, but when I have it was easy and the person helping me was extremely knowledgeable.

Cons

My employees have complained that accessing their account online has been difficult. We find that it doesn't work well on a smartphone and it must be accessed via a desktop or laptop computer. This needs to be addressed because many of my employees no longer have a computer at home. They rely soley on their phone or tablet for their computer needs.

Response from SurePayroll

Wendy, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience with SurePayroll. Thanks again for your kind words.

Angela S.

Not Fancy but very dependable

Reviewed on 22/11/2020

Surepayroll has amazing customer support. You don't have a dedicated specialist, but no matter who you get it's great.
In over 5 years I have used Surepayroll I have never had an issue with my federal or state filings. Payroll is easy to run and check for errors. After previous experience with Quickbooks and recently with Paycor, Surepayroll is definitely the superior product as far as running payrolls and staying compliant with the IRS goes.

Intuitive interface
Dependability
Customer service

Cons

No reminders for reviews
Birthday reminders are spotty
No self onboarding

Paychex Flex and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing SurePayroll

QBO was not reliable making tax filings or payments

Quickbooks Online

It was cheaper

Response from SurePayroll

Angela, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

• Industry: Insurance

Excellent product - insanely easy to use - however be cautious when you initiate the initial...

Reviewed on 18/3/2020

All-in-all I strongly recommend utilizing Sure Payroll, but until they fix their onboarding integrity issues, I would recommend only starting at the end of a quarter or at year end - but overall I am super happy I made the switch even with the implementation mistakes. Their product and customer service is exceptional.

Pros

This software is inherently easy to use and understand. The monthly fee's are very low. The customer service is exceptional. Once you get it set-up properly it works seamlessly and flawlessly.

Cons

Here is the caveat - if it isn't set up correctly by the person (your sales person) at initiation you will have a huge headache accessing numbers from your prior system and adding them to the new Sure Payroll software - thereby creating unnecessary headaches and hassle for you. My sales person dropped the ball twice on taking my mid-year numbers from my legacy software and inputting it at initiation into Sure Payroll. At the end of the day, Sure Payroll stepped up and fixed their mistake, but it caused me stress straightening it out with them. To alleviate this in the future, all they need to do is form an Onboarding Team that can be a check and balance to ensure the sales team loads everything correctly - so the clients life isn't disrupted when their sales team drops the ball.

Until then, only transfer in at the precise end of a quarter or at year end.

Response from SurePayroll

Thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review.

Eric J.
  • Industry: Law Practice

SurePayroll Works for me!

Reviewed on 18/3/2020

They could do a better job of answering phone calls. I have been placed on hold a few times - and held longer than convenient, but once the tech support person came on the line, we resolved all issues.

Pros

Management and Payment of Employment Taxes and 1099s

Cons

Inability to completely void out a payroll check that was incorrectly issued, and instead I had to issue a negative amount the next week in order to make the adjustment for the end of year 1099.

Response from SurePayroll

Eric, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review.

Debra M.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great software, but terrible customer service

Reviewed on 20/3/2021

I am so sorry I ever switched from Paychex to Surepayroll. The software is fine and user-friendly, but if you ever need customer service, you can count on a 45 minute wait on the phone, no follow up calls or emails on issues, possible trouble with the IRS from lack of follow up on tax issues. Customer service reps are friendly once you reach them, but that doesn't help when I am getting "late" tax notices from he government for bills that should have been paid by Surepayroll. I'm ready to find another company.

Pros

I like the software, as long as I don't need assistance.

Cons

The button to "exempt from SUI" when entering employee information is automatically set to yes. Although this was an oversight on my part, I think it should be set to "no", and the administrator should have to click yes. This mistake ended up costing me $2700. And I have been trying to resolve it with customer service since January.

Paychex Flex

To save money

Paychex Flex

Cost

Response from Paychex

Debra, thanks for sharing your feedback. We're sorry your experience with SurePayroll didn't meet your expectations. It was an uncommon instance and we'll do better. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] with any further comments, concerns or suggestions you wish to share. We would love to make things right if you give us chance.

Lavergne P.
  • Industry: Accounting

You wanted feedback so here it is

Reviewed on 18/3/2020

Overall, I like SurePayroll but I'm not as big a fan as I once was and not sure the people that do the setup are as knowledgeable as other PR sales staff are.

Pros

For a small business without many benefits to manage, it is a good choice and a cost effective one.

Cons

All things are not intuitive or easily explained. I've worked with Paychex (your mothership) and ADP for many years, the latter being my least favorite, Paychex being the best. But some of your changes are clunky and if you aren't used to the software you may go down the wrong road only to have all the info deleted. Example, you enter payroll and then realize you need to change something (client sends last minute email with a change) and instead of being able to 'save' and make those changes, which in my mind should be able to just update in the payroll info, you lose all your input. That doesn't make sense to me.

I think users would have more success if the sales person OR a training person, for new users, had a short session that would go through some of these processes. ALSO, not all customer service people are made the same. For the most part, the people I have talked to have been helpful, but it's been a 50/50 experience. One woman I wanted to hang up on her because she did not have a good attitude.

The other problem I had was when a new client was set up. An employee was missed even though the 941's & DE9C's were forwarded - my client was charged for adding that missing employee and when I asked on several occasions, HOW DID YOU BALANCE (which you couldn't have since you would use the 4 qtrs of reports) I never got an answer. I asked that the charge for corrections be shared and the fee was cut in half. In my mind this was an error on your side.

Response from SurePayroll

LaVergne, thanks for sharing your feedback. We're sorry your experience with SurePayroll didn't meet your expectations. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] with any further comments, concerns or suggestions you wish to share. We would love to make things right if you give us a chance.

Letitia P.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Healing Hearts Review

Reviewed on 13/3/2020

Since Sure Payroll pays and files all employee taxes for local governments we were made aware of a situation in another state where the employee should have been paying county AND city taxes that we were not aware of before. By using Sure Payroll and them filing on our behalf saved us hundreds of dollars in penalties and late fees.

Pros

I really like the reminder emails so that I don't forget to enter the information necessary for the payroll to be processed. I also really like that they take care of the necessary filings for all employee withholdings and tax payments. The software is very easy to use and if I have any questions, their customer service is very helpful and willing to assist with any issues that arise.
I was not a part of implementing the change of our payroll to the Sure Payroll software so I can't personally speak into the ease of integration. I am not aware of any problems during the switch to the new payroll system.

Cons

I am not able to print the summary reports from the printer icon. It forces me to download the report and then print it. It seems odd to have a feature that doesn't work. I'm not sure if it isn't compatible with my printer or why it doesn't do anything when I click the printer icon.

Response from SurePayroll

Letitia, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you love your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Melinda K.

SurePayroll - Best Option for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 13/3/2020

SurePayroll is amazing for my small business. It enables us to focus on the work we do, not the administrative task of doing payroll. We do not have an HR dedicated person so being efficient is #1 priority.

Pros

This software has enabled us to free of so much time. We used to do payroll manually and it would take 4-6 hrs. Now, we get it done in a matter of minutes. That alone makes it worth the money!

Cons

Overall, I don't have many cons. There was a bit of a roughness in the beginning but it has all been smooth sailing since.

ADP TotalSource

Reasons for Switching to SurePayroll

Honestly, we had a wonderful sales person who is no longer with your company. She pitched my husband first and he was the first to test for his small business. It was great for him so that was enough for me to sign up. The price, quality, etc. were in line with our needs.

Response from SurePayroll

Melinda, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you love your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

George N.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

SurePayroll Review

Reviewed on 13/3/2020

I have realized that payroll can be far cheaper than I initially thought without going with a company who has no backing from a larger institution. Other than this, Paychex acquainted me with most aspects of payroll prior to signing up.

Pros

I liked the price point for my sole proprietor small business without losing the connection to Paychex. It was far less expensive than SurePayroll while being in the SurePayroll family. The customer support and user experience were both excellent and made it easy to handle payroll. They also assisted with compliance needs which was expert and helpful

Cons

First there is a bug in the software for remembering a specific computer re: two factor authentication. However, the larger issue is the inability for PayChex to get on board with recommending or at least not badmouthing the product. I was approached numerous times to try and poach me back from SurePayroll and I was told SurePayroll would not be a solution that would help me when I closed my account with Paychex. That was truly disheartening but didnt stop my move due to the price point. That said, I felt that I had my money stolen from me by Paychex for not routing me to SurePayroll as SurePayroll covered my needs far more appropriately than Paychex.

Response from SurePayroll

George, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. We are sorry that you had to jump through those unnecessary hoops. Thanks again for your kind words.

Ashish K.

Better of the worse - No customer service

Reviewed on 26/4/2021

I was with Gusto for one month, and came right back because as the title of my review is "Worse of the worsts."

Pros

SurePayroll has been around for a long time. I used to run payroll for my company with over thirty employee, back in 2004. The portal had always been user friendly and full of features I needed like multi-state filing etc. Now, I use the portal to conduct payroll for just myself.

Cons

SurePayroll has been charging me $55 per month for payroll. Their website (SurePayroll.com/pricing) clearly states $29.99 per month + $5 per employee. Since I use QuickBooks integration, that is additional $4.99, which should bring my bill to $40 per month. I have been unable to get this issue corrected. The support emails go to this black hole with no tracking, as there is no Inbox built into the portal. They try to resolve issues by calling you back at their schedule, which may not be convenient to you. Calling them back and finding a human to talk to, is almost impossible during the tax season. Most issues like mine can be simply resolved over an email exchange.

Support used to be great during the original [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] time. Since PayChex took it over, the support has gone down the tube. I won't be surprised if PayChex's end game is to merge the product with PayChex Flex. The company address still says Glenview IL, however, the letters sent to this address are being forwarded to PayChex's corporate office in Rochester NY. Don't expect a reply from there. There is a guy, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] at SurePayroll, who always responds to a negative review. I even sent him an email to ask the correct corporate address. He never responded.

Response from Paychex

Ashish, we are sorry that your experience with SurePayroll didn't quite meet your expectations. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please contact us at [email protected] or call our support team at 877-956-7873 so we can gather some additional information. We'll work with you to resolve any issues as quickly as possible.

Lisa B.

Payroll Software

Reviewed on 23/3/2020

I love the fact that if someone loses their W2 for taxes or needs copies of their W2s or paystubs it's literally at their fingertips. There's no waiting to hear back from an accountant. As long as you have your user name and password, you're good to go.

Pros

I like the fact that everything is done online and there's really no need for phone communication unless there's a problem. I get it done fast, and all tax info is right at my fingertips and there's no waiting for your accountant to get back to you on that information.

Cons

I honestly feel that there is no improvement needed. I know no one is perfect, but this company truly knows what they are doing. Their software is so easy to use and very convenient. This can be done anywhere!

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to SurePayroll

The price was right and I felt like there was more available at my fingertips than what they offered. I would rather put in my information and not have to deal with a company verbally every time something needs to be done.

Response from SurePayroll

Lisa, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you love your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Cherie F.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Definitely recommend SurePayroll

Reviewed on 23/3/2020

Pros

We chose SurePayroll because we opened a second location in another state and the service we were using at that time could not handle multiple states. SurePayroll is easy to use, efficient, handles employees in multiple states, has great customer service, and is cost effective. It was also easy to set up when changing from another company. On those few occasions I had a question, SurePayroll was easy to contact and quickly resolved my questions. I've used both telephone support and live chat, and both were great. I would definitely recommend SurePayroll!

Cons

No cons. We've been using the software for almost 2 years, and have been very happy with both the software and the customer service.

Response from SurePayroll

Cherie, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you love your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Tony F.
  • Industry: Insurance

SurePayroll is a good payroll company to use but it is very outdated

Reviewed on 15/4/2021

My overall experience is good. Their customer support is good. I've never had any issues with their customer service.

Pros

If you want a basic payroll system then SP will do the job. The software is fairly easy to use. I've been using SP for 18 years and for the most part, it works well. I love having access to any reports I need almost instantly.

Cons

My biggest gripe with SP is it hasn't kept up with the times. It's the same software that I've been using for the last 18 years which means it doesn't have many bells and whistles. It doesn't integrate any time records...I have to use a separate service to keep track of time. It doesn't work well on a smartphone or tablet. You can't give more than one person access to the system (no bookkeeper and CPA...just one) You have to verify through text every time you try and log in. Any time you change employee info you have to reset your payroll info and start all over again. You can't have too many line items on the paystub. You can't change the names of some on-the-line items.

Response from Paychex

Tony, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you love your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Andrea E.

Makes Payroll stress free and so easy!

Reviewed on 18/3/2020

Overall very happy, easy to run payroll and keep going with business. I have only utilized the payroll features with SurePayroll, none of the extra benefits.

Pros

This is easy to use whether it is online or in the app. It takes me minutes to run payroll at most! User friendly, great support if I have questions, and easy for my employees to use.

Cons

The auto populated dates are some how out of sync, and although it is very easy for me to go in and change the dates, they are never correct right from the start. I use this for my nanny and same thing happened there and I had to call and it was a little bit of a run around until I got someone to help me "reset" them so they were right but I have no idea all the steps they had me do to reset them so I have to call for my business to figure this out, I just haven't done it. I am sure it is my user error some how but that has been the only minor complaint.

Response from SurePayroll

Andrea, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Leslie T.

Best Payroll Company Around

Reviewed on 13/3/2020

I have used other payroll services and can say honestly SurePayroll is the best I've ever used. They have an easy system and their customer service is the best I've ever worked with.

Pros

It's easy to use once you are set up. Customer service is always quick to help and ALWAYS friendly. I can always easily find any reports I may need easily and it is so user friendly.

Cons

I honestly haven't had any issues with the software. I only had some issues when getting signed up.

Response from SurePayroll

Leslie, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you love your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

David R.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 1+ year

Easy, Peasy with SurePayroll

Reviewed on 13/3/2020

My experience has been great, and when I've needed customer service they have been helpful. However, recently I had to get Cust. Ser to fix something regarding payment of a tax that is no longer a valid tax in the state. I believe that I sent whatever notification I received about our payroll taxes to them. I was not aware of this, but our CPA pointed it out while they were doing the monthly books. I think that Sure Payroll screwed up and they gladly said they would do what was needed to get the money refunded. They FAILED to tell me that that service would cost $200.00. My refund was only $126.00. I would have skipped it... or done the refiling myself. All of a sudden I see a $200 deduction from our checking account from them. I called and was told why and offered no explanation as to why I wasn't told. I'm sure it's in the terms and stuff... but I really think this misfiling was their fault. Anyway, that is my major complaint.

Pros

Set up was extremely easy. Sure Payroll did every thing for me, practically. Using the software every other week is simple and when I want to add something, it is relatively easy to do. I highly recommend it and it is a very good value.

Cons

Some of the terminology is a bit confusing, but I have no real complaints.

Response from SurePayroll

David, thanks for sharing your feedback. We're sorry your experience with SurePayroll didn't meet your expectations. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] with any further comments, concerns or suggestions you wish to share. We would love to make things right if you give us a chance.

Tina T.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Value

Reviewed on 27/3/2020

Overall great product. I highly reccoend this platform.

Pros

Great value for the cost. Excellent customer service.

Cons

Reports can not be customized and there are limited standard reports.

Quickbooks Online

Cost

Reasons for Switching to SurePayroll

I need Customer Service to answer technical payroll questions. Sure Payroll has awesome customer service; quick response time with knowledgeable team. Calling QuickBooks would take hours.

Response from SurePayroll

Tina, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review.

Jennifer C.

Easy to Use and Great Client Support

Reviewed on 18/3/2020

I've been extremely happy with SurePayroll. Taxes are easily done for me and my accountant has also been pleased.

Pros

I love that I can pick up the phone and be walked through the process. Instead of doing it for me, they teach me the "how to's" Always so professional and helpful

Cons

There really aren't any cons I have experienced in the short time I've been a customer. It's been too easy, so far.

Response from SurePayroll

Jennifer, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience with SurePayroll. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thanks again for your kind words.

Keith H.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Great Decision!!!

Reviewed on 27/3/2020

We were still writing checks two years ago. Don’t know why we waited so long for this!

Pros

After contacting many different companies we chose SurePayroll and we are so glad we did. They send out emails to remind you to enter payroll every week. Payroll is on default and so easy to enter or make changes. They even have an app to do payroll, however we have never used it so I can’t comment on that part.

Cons

They have a glitch in the system that has to do with separating direct deposits for one person into two checking accounts. It shows up on one of our employees that we need to write a check for .01 cents. I have spoken to them about it but they have never been able to fix the problem.

Response from SurePayroll

Keith, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review.

Michael J.

Save Your Time, Energy and Money and find something else!

Reviewed on 21/2/2020

I signed up with RM, who is a nice guy btw. I wanted to get set up with their payroll system and also use a time keeping product. I explained what I was looking for in a time keeping product and they referred me to their time keeping system because it could do things like have 3rd party managers approve time. I was told that by the rep, manager and then discovered a week later that I couldn't do it by their implementation team. Ok, I get it, they were wrong. I understand. They referred me to a list of their partners of about 12-15 or so. So I go through that whole list (which takes time btw) and pick one. I'm like "yay!" got one... finally fixed. Then a week later, it is discovered that they actually aren't a time keeping partner even though they referred me to them. And this was already after I spent $1k on setting up with that "partner". So, then I'm like whatever, you guys are clueless, let me think of a solution here. They offer me a free month of service for my troubles. Sweet. At this point, I just want to be able to pay people. I could go on in more detail but have to be brief because I'm running out of space, so here are my highlights...I set up payroll and guess what? like most of their software architecture it didn't work, the people didn't get paid. They were like, where's my paycheck? Same day I called Intuit Payroll and they took care of everything in one hour and got people paid! what a shit show from SurePayroll. Should be called ShitPayroll or unSurePayroll.

Pros

At first it was easy to use. But that only lasted a day. Everything on the back end of their software is crap. Bad connections. Different teams don't communicate to each other. It's a sad case. They should either try to fix it or give up in the industry. I definitely do not recommend them.

Cons

Whoever runs this company needs to re-examine EVERYTHING. From your front line reps, to your managers, to your operations, to you Customer Service Team to your engineers or IT staff that develop and maintain your SaaS product. I don't know how a company like Paychex can by SurePayroll and not make it better than what it is. People are nice but pretty much clueless and not helpful.

Response from SurePayroll

Michael, we are sorry that your experience with SurePayroll didn't quite meet your expectations. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please contact us at [email protected] or call our support team at 877-956-7873 so we can gather some additional information. We'll work with you to resolve any issues as quickly as possible. Thank you.